Chapter 2

On the bridge of the star ship Enterprise Kestrel Stibbons hung her head back and made a frustrated groaning noise, "My God Kirk! Can't you do anything?" She asked into the comm that she was holding while gazing out of the Enterprise's front screen into the bleak nothingness of the alien sea.

"May I remind you that you are speaking to the Captain of the ship." Kirk's voice filtered back making Kez roll her eyes.

"You: off ship. Me: on ship. First officer: also off ship. Guess what? Me: acting captain." Kez said back slumping down into the chair.

Kirk's voice came through with a chuckle, "Point taken. Actually, it's pretty sexy you being Captain and demanding -,"

"Not the time, James!" Kez warned trying not to smile or blush too brightly for the whole bridge to notice, particularly Scotty who was watching her with an eyebrow raised.

"Sorry," Kirk said sounding anything but sorry, "Can you get through to Shuttle One and find out what the hell they are doing? Bones and I are fine by the way, but if we're caught we might be cooked on a spit and eaten. Kirk out."

Kez opened her mouth to speak but Kirk's comm went dead, which made her heart fall slightly but she knew there was no time to be a romantic.

"What the chuff is he doing?" Kez muttered to herself before getting a line open with Shuttle One.

"You hear me Sulu?"

Stability was bad in Shuttle One and the controls were only just holding together.

As each volcanic plume engulfed the little shuttle, it required Sulu's full attention to keep the craft from being knocked over, towards the unforgiving ground below.

"Sulu? You hear me?" Kez's voice filled the cockpit and Sulu was about to respond when Kirk's order came in again.

Sulu thought it best to reply to the real Captain first.

"Copy that, Captain!" He said before glancing back to where Uhura was busily suiting up Spock in an exosuit.

"We have to do this now people! If we sit in this murk much longer, the acids in the gasses are going to start messing up our systems and then we'll be going down for good."

Spock acknowledged him with a wave then turned back to Nyota Uhura as she continued sealing the suit.

Instead of commenting on her handiwork Spock said, "Captain did any of the indigenous life forms see you? The prime directive clearly states-,"

Despite everything Kirks voice was clear and sharp, "No, Mr Spock, they did not! I know what it says! I might have missed a few details here and there in class, but everything's fine!"

Sulu smirked at the remark just as another voice filtered in.

"Would you lot get a move on! I know there's a risk of getting eaten or burning to death or crashing, but might I remind you that the rest of us are all stuck on a Starship under thousands of meters of water! I DON'T WANT TO DROWN!" Kez's voice was even clearer and even though the message was dripping with overdramatic paranoia, the message was still there: they needed to get a move on.

Kirk continued to talk like she hadn't even spoken, "We're not supposed to be here at all. Now drop off your super ice cube and let's get out of here before Stibs floods my ship!"

The connection was cut off and Spock gave up the need to argue with Kirk as it never really did anything.

He knelt down and opened a clamshell metallic case. The device inside looked like a simple brace of unified electronics that turned the contents of the container from an assortment of materials and components into a device of power. Spock waited until he was sure that the device was functioning properly and only then did he stand and get his balance.

Slipping on the suit's helmet Spock locked it in place and Uhura moved to check the seal. Then she checked the safety line attached to his chest plate was securely fixed to the shuttle's cargo winch.

Spock picked up the case.

"Sure you don't want me to go?" Uhura said, requesting a response so that she knew the suits comm was working fully.

"That would be illogical," Spock's responded calm and collected as always, "I am already outfitted with the requisite gas and heat resistant equipm-,"

Uhura stopped him speaking by placing her open palms against the sides of the helmet. When she next spoke, her tone was utterly different.

"Spock, I was kidding," Her voice was gentle and affectionate and, rising on her toes, placed a quick kiss on the transparent visor of his helmet.

"However visual distortion will not help," Spock muttered.

"It'll go with the heat," Uhura shrugged and stepped back just as Sulu called urgently.

"If we're gunna do this, we've got to do it now! I'm losing the shuttle, let's not lose the moment!"

Another jet of lava shot past the shuttle, rocking it from side to side.

Beaming down would have been easier, but it would have been impossible to spot a safe landing. This way was better.

"I'll see you in a moment, keep cool!" Uhura said smiling.

"It is my intention to keep everything cool." Spock turned towards the shuttle's cargo bay.

Uhura joined Sulu in the cockpit and they waited for the airlock to seal before finally, Uhura pressed the button.