Chapter 8

Over the next few months, Jay and Erin grew closer and closer. They were essentially back to doing everything together. He'd even stayed over a few nights on the couch when their late nights turned into early mornings.

They'd gotten the baby's room together quiet easily. Erin had picked a soft lavender to paint the walls, and Jay made her stay at his place until the paint fumes were gone. Once he had the room painted, he took her shopping on a Saturday off and they got all the furniture needed for the room. He spent the next week putting it together and arranging it for her.

After that came the shopping for clothes, books, and stuffed toys. Jay couldn't resist buying her cute little outfits, and Erin had given him a hard time saying her was going to spoil her too much.

The next week, Erin had the day off. She did some shopping and fixed Jay supper. It was almost similar to the night she asked him to go to the doctor with her to find out the baby's gender. While she was cooking the baby kicked up a storm.

"Are you excited baby?" Erin giggled receiving another kick.

"I know. I am too. Jay's just too perfect for us isn't he?" She asked while rubbing a hand over her eight month pregnant belly.

She heard the door open and smiled. "Hey," he called out letting her know he was there.

"Hey," she smiled walking out of the kitchen. She had music playing softly and she'd made tacos for supper.

"What's all this for?" He asked with a smile walking up to her. His hands automatically found her belly, and the baby instantly kicked back.

"She's been active today," Erin laughed. "And nothing... I just wanted to cook for you," she shrugged.

"Well thanks," he smiled kissing her cheek. They made their plates and sat down to eat.

"So what'd you do today?" Jay asked as they ate.

"Some shopping, some cleaning," she smiled.

"I told you I could do the cleaning."

"I know. But this is something I wanted to do," she smiled as he nodded. They finished up eating and he cleaned up. Erin snuck up behind him and wrapped her arms around him as best she could with her belly between them.

"What's this?" He smiled turning around and hugging her. He was secretly celebrating her initiating contact for a change.

"I wanna show you something... well two things actually," she smiled.

"Ok I'm game," he said as she grabbed his hand.

They went to the baby's room first, and when she opened the door, Jay noticed she'd hung letters over the crib. "It's her initials," Erin smiled.

"What'd you decide on?" Jay asked puzzled by the letters hanging.

"Well..... I had two questions first and then I'll tell?" She asked unsure.

"Yea... sure. You know you can ask me anything," Jay said wanting to reassure her.

She grabbed his hand and pulled him toward her bedroom. "This is where I did my cleaning... I cleaned out my closet and a drawer or two or three in my dresser," she said sitting down on the bed.

"What for?" Jay asked confused.

Erin rubbed her stomach as she watched him kneel in front of her. "What is it Erin?"

"I just.... I thought... I wanted... I wanted to see if you wanted to move in. Like officially... I mean.... you're always here and...."

Before she could finish, Jay kissed her hard and deep. He'd been waiting for this day for sure. All he could think to do to stop her rambles was to kiss her. The baby kicked between them making them pull back with a laugh.

"I guess that's a yes," Erin giggled.

"It's definitely a yes," he smiled.

"Good," she smiled kissing him again.

"What's the other question?" He finally managed after slowing their kisses.

"I decided on her name finally.... and I just.... if... if we're gonna do this... I just thought... I mean you're gonna be here and be.... her...." She trailed off

"Erin..." He said with a smile. "It's ok. Just ask," he said having an idea of where she was going with this.

"I thought you might want to adopt her? Give her your name?"

"Of course," he whispered with a smile. "I would be honored and pleased to do that," he smiled kissing her again.

"I'm glad because I didn't wanna buy new letters," She giggled.

"What did you decide on... for our daughter?" He asked quietly feeling immense pride at being able to call her his.

"Harper Avery Halstead," she smiled.

"I love it," he smiled softly kissing her belly.  "Harper," he whispered receiving a kick under his lips.

"I guess she likes it," he laughed.

The next day Jay officially moved in and he couldn't have been happier.

Three weeks later, the guys were out on a major bust when Erin went into labor at work. Platt had Burgess rush her to the hospital while Mouse tracked down Jay.

Harper proved to be just as stubborn as her mother. Erin's labor was long and strong. After fifteen hours, she was begging for anything to get the baby out. Another hour of pushing, and Harper finally made her grand entrance screaming at the top of her lungs.

She was a mini Erin, weighing seven pounds even, eighteen inches long. Erin's heart was bursting with love when she held her for the first time. She thought it was gonna explode when Jay held Harper for the first time though. It was the sweetest moment and Harper already had him wrapped around her finger.

They spent two nights in the hospital before taking their little bundle home. Erin had tracked down Harper's biological dad the week before she was born and got him to sign his rights away. Jay had filed the paperwork for adoption the day after Harper had been born.

He hadn't seen Erin this happy in a while. It was amazing watching her be a mom and he was thankful he was getting to be a part of this.