Chapter 9

Harper proved to be a little mini Erin in her stubbornness and attitude. She hated sleeping always wanting to look around and not miss anything.

Getting her on a sleep schedule proved difficult for her parents but she didn't seem to mind. They'd put her on formula so it would be easier for Jay to help Erin out. Harper seemed to like late night feedings with Jay better. Erin teased him that his stories were just boring enough to put her asleep, but at the same time she found it adorable. By the time she was three months old, she finally started sleeping more regular giving her parents more time for sleep.

She still remembered the night she'd woke up and Jay wasn't in bed. She hadn't heard him on the monitor either so she got up looking for him. She found him in Harper's room sound asleep in the rocking chair with Harper asleep on his chest. She'd found the scene too adorable to wake him.

She loved how much he loved her baby as his own. Harper seemed to love him just as much.

The adoption papers came through when Harper was four months old. She was officially a Halstead and Erin couldn't be happier. Jay was the perfect dad to her little girl.

Erin went back to work when Harper was six months old. It'd been a tough decision because she loved being home with her baby, but she loved her job as well. She and Jay searched countless daycares before they found one they both liked. Luckily it was close to the district, and they liked Harper's teacher well enough.

Leaving her on the first day proved harder than either had thought it would be, but Harper did really well. She didn't cry and ended up having a good first day. Each day got just a tad easier and Erin felt good being back at work.

Mama was her first word, making Erin cry after having a bad day at work. Coming home to hear her baby call her mama was unimaginable joy. Jay had been practicing it with her but Erin didn't know that. It wasn't long after that she'd called Jay dada and Erin would never forget the joy on his face hearing Harper call him that.

Harper was almost a year old when Bunny finally popped back up in their lives. She'd been picked up by patrol caught with a kilo on her and selling a gram.

Hank left the choice up to Erin on what to do. She took Jay with her when she went down to the interrogation room.

Bunny had been relieved to see her until she saw Jay with her. Erin didn't cut her the least bit of slack. "I'm not bailing you out if this Bunny. You're going to do time," Erin eventually said. "Maybe it'll help you see reality. "

"You can't do this.... Erin... I'll never survive jail," Bunny cried as they headed out.

"I. Don't. Care. Understand that Bunny."

"This is because you've got a kid. You think you're better than me! Well you're not Erin! You're just like me!" Bunny screamed.

Jay pushed Erin out and slammed the door. He put his hands on the table and got right in Bunny's face. "Don't ever talk to her again. Forget you ever had a daughter. She is ten times the mother you never were and I won't let you fuck with her head any more. Got it?! And if I so much as catch you coming near her or my daughter... I can promise.... promise you'll go away for life. Am I clear?"

Bunny had nothing to say so Jay left.

"You ok?" Jay asked her wrapping his arms around her outside the interrogation room.

"Yea... yea... it's time she did her time. I'm done bailing her out," she said resting her head on his chest. "I just wanna get our girl and go home," she said as he softly kissed her head.

They picked up Harper from day care early after Hank let them go and spent the day as a family. Harper always made any bad day better.

They celebrated Harper's one year birthday at Hank's. They had Will and Natalie over as well as the unit. They showered her with tons of gifts of new toys and a few clothes. She loved her cake the most smearing it all over herself as dug into it.

Erin ended up having to give her a bath at Hank's to get all the icing off her. Jay eventually joined them seeing his girl splashing in the water getting it all over Erin. "Someone's having a good day," he laughed.

"You let her have too much icing," Erin said trying to act annoyed but really she didn't mind.

"Oh come on Erin. It's her birthday. We can bend a little," he smiled bending down to kiss her.

"You can stay up with her," she grinned and Jay just nodded.

"You know I don't mind," he grinned getting Harper out of the bath. "Go get a dry shirt while I get her dressed," he said giving Erin a kiss.

After Erin went out, he dried Harper off and started dressing her. "You ready for this baby girl?" He whispered.

Harper giggled as if she understood him and Jay laughed. "Come on let's go surprise mama," he said as Harper yelled mama and clapped.

"What is it cutie?" Erin laughed coming out in a dry shirt.

"Come on I wanna show you something," Jay smiled taking her hand. They went out to the backyard and everything had been cleaned up except for some string lights.

Jay sat Harper down in the yard and turned to Erin taking her hands.

"I've know from the moment we met, we'd get here one day. And I've been waiting for this day. I love you Erin. I love you and Harper so much. And I want this to be forever. What I'm trying to say is...." he dropped to one knee as Harper toddled over. "Will you marry me?" He asked.

Hank had given him Camille's ring for her and he was holding it up to her. Harper's shirt read "have our last name mama." Erin couldn't stop the tears as she nodded yes to Jay.

"Yea?" He asked and she screamed yes wrapping her arms around his neck kissing him. Harper giggled and clapped watching them. Jay slowly pulled back and slipped the ring on her finger.

"Wow," she whispered seeing that it was Camille's.

"Hank gave it to me," he smiled giving her another kiss. After sharing the news with Hank, Will, and the unit, they gathered up Harper and all her gifts and headed home.

It took a while for her to go to sleep, but once she did Jay and Erin had their own celebration for their night. Before long they would all be a permanent family and she couldn't wait.