Chapter 4

I was right, I think, covering my mouth to stop myself from laughing, this is extremely fun. We are just up to the part where the mother gets possessed by the Babadook and the reactions of the boys are hilarious. Samuel and King George are clinging to eachother. Lafayette is leaning against Hercules and is covering one of his eyes. Laurens is shaking but is still watching. Philip keeps flinching at any sudden noise. The only one seemingly unaffected by the movie is Washington.

When the credits begin to roll I hear a collective sigh around the room. “Now wasn’t that great? Not even scary! We can watch a scarier one if you would like,” I say overenthusiastically.

“No no no, I think that one was enough,” Samuel says, his voice shaking. King George strokes his hair comfortingly while whispering in his ear. I pout and cross my arms. “How can there be even scarier movies?” Philip asks, looking at me like I grew an extra head.

“One time this movie gave a guy a heart attack and he died. That’s how scary movies can get. Even though it wasn’t even that scary,” I reply with a shrug. I sit up and look at the clock. 4.23pm.

“Fine. We won’t watch another horror movie. What do you guys want to do?” I enquire.

“Let’s just talk. I want to know what the world knows about us,” James offers.

I nod in reply and begin to talk. “You're all historical icons. Washington probably being the most famous.” Washington smiles at this. “I… um… studied you guys a lot. I find your stories quite interesting actually. I really don’t think I need to relay your own life stories to you but yeah,” I finish lamely.

“Tell us about you then,” Philip says, looking at me.

“What do you want to know?” I answer with.

“How about we ask you some questions and you can reply with an answer if you feel comfortable with it,” Alexander suggests.

I nod in reply, “shoot.” They look at me in confusion and I sigh, “that means go.”

“So, uh, how were your grades in school?” Alex asks me.

“I graduated valedictorian of the school,” I reply, “so I’d say good.” My reply earns a few looks of respect from the men around the room.

“If you graduated with such high grades then why didn’t you get a scholarship to the college you wanted to go to?” Burr asks after some hesitation. I sigh, I knew this question would come.

“My family… had already gone on holiday… so there were no parents to sign my application paper,” I say, looking down at my legs that are still across Alex and John. I don’t hear anything for a moment before the next question is asked. “Do you have any friends? Any… partners?” Thomas asks me and I catch a wink at the end of the sentence. I roll my eyes.

“No and no,” I answer sharply, “they all left me about a year ago. Said I was too much of a freak. Turned into bullies. Boyfriend cheated on me with best friend. All the good stuff.” I look up and make eye contact with him. He looks away, slightly embarrassed. I get up and walk towards the kitchen, “I should start dinner.”

Third Person P.O.V

“Nice one Jeffershit,” Alexander says and gently kicks the back of his head.

“Ow! How the hell was I supposed to know?” Thomas replied. James put a hand on his shoulder. Philip looks towards the way that you had gone, “she looks like she has a lot of secrets. I can tell, you can see it in her eyes.” They all nod in agreement.

“It was really nice of her to let us stay here. Even if it’s not the class I’m used to staying in,” King George admits. His comment gets him some glares but overall it was the best compliment the King would give without hurting his ego.

“She can understand French,” Lafayette speaks up, “she is very… how you say… intelligent.”

“Not to mention quite attractive,” Philip mumbles.

Music starts playing from the kitchen where you are busy making some dinner for the boys. You cut up chicken and throw it in the pan. You decided to make chicken tacos since you didn’t think that the guests you have over have ever tried foods from other countries. You were going to rectify that.

Your P.O.V

As I step back to wait for the chicken to cook, I hear my phone ring. Oh right, I think, I forgot about the call today. I turn my music off and answer, putting the phone on speaker. The sound shouldn’t reach the living room. “Hey Kels, how are you?” I sit on the bench.

“I’m good (y/n)! How’s my favourite sister doing?” my adorable little sister, Kelly, replies.

“I found some friends,” I giggle at my sister’s bubbly voice.

“Oh that’s good! I'm so proud of you!” comes the voice from the phone.

“Thanks Kel. So where are you guys now? Canada? Brazil? The Philippines?” I lean back on my hands and keep watch over the cooking food. Some hesitation comes from the other end before Kelly speaks, “Mum and Dad actually decided that we are gonna stay in Britain… we move into the place in a week…” It’s really no surprise to me. My parents left when I was 15 and took Kelly with them. They never were proud of me, they were always ashamed or embarrassed that I wanted to be an artist. I guess they just wanted to permanently get away from me. Not that I blame them though. I get up and begin to stir the seasoning into the chicken. “(Y/n)?” Kelly asks.

“Oh… right. Congrats Kels. At least you’ll be able to settle down now,” I reply absentmindedly, “I’ve gotta go now. My friends are here for dinner.” We say a quick goodbye and I hang up the phone. I take a breath and lean against the counter, closing my eyes tightly and willing myself not to cry.

“(Y/n)?” James walks into the kitchen, “we heard you talking to someone? Is there somebody here?”

“No Jemmy there isn’t,” I reply, “I was just on the phone with my sister. Phones can let you talk to anyone in the world.” He nods and sits at the counter.

“Thomas is sorry for what he said before,” he says quietly.

“Its fine,” I dismiss it with the wave of a hand, “I know he didn’t mean it that way. I just overreacted.” James seems to accept what I've said after a brief hesitation and goes back into the living room.

After we eat dinner, with no events happening, it suddenly occurs to me that I need to set up a place for the guys to sleep. “Okay everyone,” I say to the boys who have arranged themselves around the table in the same formation as lunch, “I have a queen sized bed, three mattresses and a couch for you all to sleep on. I would say that Washington, Burr and Philip share the queen sized. Laurens and Alex share a mattress. Same with Laf and Herc. Tommy and Jem get the last one and George and Sammy get the couch. Objections?” I see a few shrugs but no one voices an opinion. “Great. Well, I’m tired since you all woke me up so early so I’ll just get those beds ready now, the 9 that are in the guest room, follow me. George and Samuel, you know where the couch is,” I stand and lead the men that are staying in my guest room to where they will sleep.

I pull out the three spare mattresses I have and spread them around the bed in a U shape. “Sorry, it’s not much, but you all have a pillow and a blanket so it’s something,” I throw some sheets onto the mattresses and two pillows and a doona onto each. “It’s perfect (y/n), thank you,” Washington says and gives me a side hug. I smile up at him and begin to walk out of the room, “if you need me I’ll be in my room. Philip might remember where it is but if not John and Alex do. The door will be open.”

Once I get into my room I flop onto my bed and push the palms of my hands into my eyes. “Just don’t have a nightmare and you’ll be fine,” I mutter to myself and sit up. I put my phone on charge, change into pj’s in my ensuite and finally get into bed.What a day, I think, at least I'm not alone anymore. I just can’t trust them yet. I roll over and slowly fall asleep.

(A/N: Okay so this is like a week early but I just couldn't wait! Hope you enjoy. Remember to Vote, Comment, Share and do all that fun stuff.
~Ash)