Chapter 7

I feel my heart drop to my feet. Running back into the living room, I snatch up my laptop from the coffee table and sit on the couch. I can feel how tense my body is and it isn’t doing much help to my neck. “(Y/n)? Are you okay?” I hear James ask as I whip my laptop open, typing in the password and opening up Skype. “Okay now you’re all going to listen to what I say right now,” I say, panic laced in my voice, “you will not speak. You will not make any noise until this call is over. I need to talk to my sister. Got it?” Everyone nods and I find Kelly’s name and click ‘call’.

As it dials, I plug my headphones into the laptop so that the boys don’t hear our conversation. I hear the familiar tone of the app as it connects me to my sister. When I see her tear stained face, I feel the blood drain from my own. “Kelly? What happened? What did they do to you?” anger quickly takes over my voice as my beloved sister wipes her eyes.

“I… I start school next week,” she manages to get out and I immediately know what she means. Our parents would always put pressure on us before the school year started. Usually, I would take the brunt of their tactics to help keep Kelly out of it but now that I’m not there, I guess they’ve fallen back into tradition, I think bitterly.

“Not only that,” Kelly stutters out, “they’re starting to say things about you again.”

“You know what they say about me isn’t true,” I spit out. She nods weakly.

“I know… they’ve started saying that you don’t…” she hesitates slightly, “that you don’t care about me. That you don’t mean it when you sing Johnny Boy to me…” Tears start flowing from her eyes again.

“You know that that song will always be for you. I never ever perform it live. You know that,” I say, a pleading tone etching its way in.

“You don’t?” my sister asks, wiping her eyes again.

“No, Kels. I don’t,” I send her a small smile, “now. About school, just do your best. You don’t need to go up to their standards. Do what you can and if you need any help just ask me. I’m always here for you.” These words make Kelly smile.

“I know sis. I will do my best but not overwork myself,” she leans on her hand and looks at me like she’s staring into my soul, “and now I have a question for you.”

“Go on then, don’t leave me hanging,” I giggle at her antics.

“So what’s going on with these new friends of yours. I want details!” she exclaims. For the first time in the call, I look over my laptop at the guys on the couch. They look at me worriedly and I sent them a reassuring smile.

“Okay well, I got the first hug I’ve had in three years this morning,” I grin, “they’re all really nice and I think you would love them.”

“Aw I bet I would!” she gives me a measured look through the computer screen, “are they here right now?”

“Uh… no?” I say and glance over the screen again.

“They totally are! (Y/n) let me meet them!” Kelly sits up straighter and her eyes shine.

“Well… I mean… okay,” I shut the screen slightly and survey everyone, “Thomas, come here. My sister wants to meet you.” He gets up smugly and sends a look Hamilton’s way who, in turn, glares back. When he kneels on the ground next to me I whisper in his ear, “as long as you are talking to my sister. You are not Thomas Jefferson and you are definitely from this time period.” He nods and I raise the computer lid up again. I hand Jefferson one of the headphones and put it in his ear when he gives me a confused look. “Oh my God! I love your hair!” Kelly squeals when she looks at Thomas.

“Why thank you,” he replies, “I take it that you are (y/n)’s little sister yes?”

“Yes that is me. The much more mature and better sister,” she flicks her hair and I scoff.

“Yeah that’s true,” I laugh, “Thomas, this is Kelly. Kelly, this is my friend Thomas.”

“Pleasure to meet the sister of my very good friend,” Thomas drawls with a grin. I discreetly elbow him.

“Oh my gosh! Are you American?!” she exclaims excitedly.

“Virginia,” he leans on the arm of the couch next to me.

“(Y/n),” she whisper yells, “how fluffy is his hair?” I pat Thomas on the head and think for a bit.

“It’s very fluffy,” I giggle at the face Thomas makes at me. I hear some shouting in the background and see Kelly tense up.

“Well Thomas, I think you should get going and let me talk to my sister for a bit,” I say and take the headphone from him. He nods and goes to sit back down next to James. On the screen I see Mum poke her head into the room. “Kelly! What are you doing?! You should be studying!” she screeches.

“But Mother, I haven’t even started school yet!” Kelly protests. I can feel my blood begin to boil.

“It doesn’t matter! You need to perform perfectly! We don’t need another failure in the family!” she directs the last comment at me. Kelly nods in defeat and turns towards me, “I’ll text you later?”

“Of course Kels,” I say, my voice shaking, “remember what I told you.” She nods.

“I love you Kelly,” I whisper as the call ends. I snap my laptop closed and rake a hand through my hair.

“Are you okay?” Washington asks, putting a hand on my shoulder.

“No I’m not! Who do they think they are?! Putting that amount of pressure on a child! She’s fifteen!” I cry out and stand, starting to pace, “they have no right! Absolutely no right!” I growl in frustration.

“(Y/n),” Thomas comes up to me and puts his hands on my shoulders, stopping my walking, “its alright, Kelly will be fine. She seemed like a very strong girl.” I take a few deep breaths and nod. Just that simple action spikes pain in my neck and I whimper. “What’s wrong? Are you hurt?” Philip asks and stands up next to Thomas, inspecting me. “I’m fine. I just slept weird. Sitting up in a corner of the kitchen with your neck bent weird doesn’t always turn out correctly,” I say.

“Désolé,” I hear Lafayette say apologetically, “I knew she shouldn’t have taken that offer from you.”

“Shut up,” I retort, “I gave the offer. I’m fine. Just my muscles being weird.”

“Don’t be silly mon ami,” he walks over and stands in between Jefferson and Philip, “let me fix it. Come on, sit.” He points to the spot in front of the couch where he had been sitting. I sigh and sit down there. Laf sits on the couch behind me and begins to massage my neck muscles. I can feel the tension begin to leave almost immediately. “Oh my God, I take it all back. Thank you Laf,” I say with a giggle. Looking around the room at the others, I see Philip send a glare towards Lafayette, huh, I wonder what that’s about, I think. I close my eyes and slowly, reluctantly, begin to fall asleep.

(A/N: Hey everyone! This chapter isnt too great, I know but its the best I could do right now! I hope you like it. Remember to Vote, Comment, Share and do all that fun stuff!
~Ash xxx)