Chapter 5

Edited
Sleep. Haha, that's funny. I don't sleep. I lie awake in my bed until I just can't wait anymore. I'm not sure who would leave me a note-it's not like anybody really knows me here. But still...I want to go. Hey-what can I say? They never said I was smart!
So ten minutes before midnight, I sneak out of my room in my nightgown, and a dress coat, and silently tiptoe down the empty hallways to the entrance hall. The icy cold stone floor makes my bare feet freeze. Once I reach the large oak doors leading to the entrance hall, I peak through the crack under the door. Somebody is there, pacing the room. But with the lighting the way it is, I can't make out who it is. I palm the rock that the note was on, gripping it in my fist just in case I need a weapon. I chew on my lip nervously. Maybe this isn't such a good idea. Maybe I should just forget about this and go to bed.

But against my better judgement I shake those thoughts out of my head. I have to do this. So I take a deep breath, and swing the door wide open.

The person in the hallway stops pacing, and turns to me. My eyes widen in shock. This isn't possible. This isn't actually happening! That's a face I never thought I'd see again! They open their arms, and without a second thought, I fly into them. I wrap my arms tightly around him, and rest my head against his shoulder. Derrin.
Although I haven't known him for long, he's the only person I'm the world I know I can trust. We've gone through so much together, in the past few days. I think he's one of the closest friends I have. That I've ever had.

"I never thought I'd see you again" I breathe. He just laughs, and hugs me tighter.

"You can't get rid of me that easily. I'm a servant here now." He states. I step back and look up into his face. He smiles at me. I easily smile back. Then Derrin pulls me back close to him again. For once, I don't object.

Minutes later, after we finally separate, we walk along the corridors slowly. I like this-like just walking and talking. It helps me to forget about the pressure-the fear I've been feeling since, well, since I was captured that morning.
But something still weighs on my mind.

"Derrin?" I ask, almost shyly.

"What?" He responds.

I take a deep breath, and continue.

"Tonight at dinner, all the servants were talking about me. Do you know what they were saying?" I ask quietly. I almost don't want it know the answer. Derrin looks down at the ground, then up at me.

"Lynx, it's not a big deal." He states. But I cross my arms in front of my chest and glare at him until he caves.

"Fine! Ok! They were just saying that you look like that dead princess. I think her name was Esther or something." He shrugs.

"What did you think?" I can't help but ask.

He turns red.

"I thought you looked lovely." He whispers, staring at the floor. I feel my face turn red, and look at the floor. That wasn't what I was expecting. At all.

"Thank you" I mutter. Awkwardly.

We walk silently back to my room. I stand in front of my door, reluctant to go inside. I don't really want to leave.

"Well, I'm really glad you're here." I smile up at him. He gives me another hug. I guess he's a hugger.
I'm not.

"I'll see you tomorrow. We can't officially speak in public, but we can still be friends in secret." Derrin states. I nod my 'ok', and turn to go inside my room. Without another word, he disappears, and I slip inside my room.