Chapter 17

Edited

No.....no no no!!! Not my family....oh gosh! I knew that it would happen eventually, but not yet! Why now? I'm not ready to loose them. I have to fight to keep myself impassive. I have to look neutral-like I don't care. I can't show emotion. I can't be Eadu right now. I focus on my breathing. In. Out. In. Out.

"This complicates things." Gai says simply. I nod along...not sure exactly where he's going with this point. Right now I don't care. I don't care about anything. My family is dead. Dead.

"What to do....what to do...." Gai muses, deep in thought. Suddenly his eyes light up and he smiles crookedly at us.

"I'm sure you're all aware of the 'lost' Princess? Princess Eadu?" He asks us, We all nod in confirmation. I'd dare to say I know of her pretty well.

"It was never actually confirmed she was dead. No body was recovered. The Seatadors meet in 5 days to discuss who will be the next ruler. At that time, one of you will come forward as the lost princess!" He lays it out gleefully. I bite back bemused laughter.
What he would do if he knew how close the real Princess Eadu was right now....But to him I'm still Lynx. I must play the part. I take a deep breath, composing myself.

"What do we need to do?" I ask quietly, breaking the never ending silence. Gai smiles maliciously.

"I shall postpone my decision. I must re-evaluate. In two days, we will meet again to discuss who the new princess will be. Until then, you will have a new training regime starting after lunch. Thank you. You are dismissed. Mufar? Call the blacksmith at once." Gai announces. He waves us off. Wordlessly we walk out of the room.

I head to the stables. I need to ride. I take my favourite horse, Mystique, and mount her back. I take a moment to canter while on the grounds. But once I hit the treeline, I take off, galloping deep into the woods.

I end up in the place where I last spoke to my mother. I miss her so much already. I miss the scent of lavender that always lingers on her skin. I miss her warm smile, and her soft black curls. I miss my mother. No, not just my mother. I miss my whole family. Mithil and my father. A pang of guilt hits my chest as I think of my father. I haven't spoken to him since I was 11, when we fought in the courtroom. I wish I had made up to him. I wish I had told him that I loved....love him.

Goodbyes make you think. They make you realize what you had and what you took for granted. So appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

But the past is the past. You can't let your regrets define who you are. You can only look towards tomorrow. I can't dwell on my family right now. I need to focus on upholding their legacy. On honouring them.

Lost in thought, thinking about my dead family, I didn't hear the footsteps behind me, until a firm hand claps down onto my shoulder.

"Can I sit?" Mufar asks gently. I shrug my shoulders, wanting him to leave, but since it would be rude to deny him, I don't. He sits down next to me, leaning back on his hands.

"What do you want?" I mutter, my voice empty and flat.

"I wanted to make sure you were ok." He responds.
This infuriates me. I glare at him.

"You don't know me! I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I know you more then you may think. I know that behind that sassy, arrogant girl, you are smart. I know that behind that stone exterior, you are quite the caring soul. And I know that your family just died and you aren't allowed grieve. Of course you're upset." Mufar states calmly. I look at him-alarmed. He just rolls his eyes.

"Oh please Lynx....Or should I say Eadu."

My eyes widen, and my hand drifts to my waist, where I usually keep a knife.

"How do you know who I am?" I whisper, looking around for other. Mufar laughs ruefully.

"I was ordered to follow you with the queen. I didn't tell Gai though. Your secret is safe. I am sorry for your loss milady." Mufar answers me, meeting my eyes sombrely.

"You mustn't tell anybody. Please." I beg, grabbing his arm. He nods.

"Of course my princess."

I feel better about this. I'm relieved that somebody knows about my secret. I'm relieved that it's Mufar. I somewhat Mufar. He will help me regain my position. I can feel it.

"Thank you Mufar." I murmur. He stands, and bows down to me. I smile wearily, and get on my horse, renewed, and ready to face Gai again. Ready to show him really who's boss.