Chapter 10

Edited

I regain consciousness to a sensation so fierce in my shoulders that I literally sit up and scream.

Hands push me down and a cold cloth is placed on my forehead. A disembodied voice tells me that it's just the healer popping my dislocated shoulders back into place. I gasp deeply, gulping in air, and the pain eventually ebbs to a dull ache. My vision gradually focus's until I can see almost clearly again.
Gai is standing above me, along with a strange man with his hands cupped around his nose. I guess when he popped my shoulder's back him, I lashed out and kneed him in the nose. The man glares at me with watery eyes. I glare straight back at him. He deserves a broken nose after the amount of pain he just inflicted on me. Totally deserves it.

"She's fine." He mutters then rapidly exits the room.

I shift my focus to Gai.

"How are you feeling?" He asks. He almost looks concerned, about me-a expression I never thought I'd see on his face.

"Like crap. What about you? Are you enjoying seeing me in pain because you stole something that was mine?" I scowl at him. I wish I could punch him. I really do.
He rolls his eyes, all traces of concern gone.

"You're on the road to recovery I can see. Rest now, and I'll talk you tomorrow about your training." He says, tiredly. Then he leaves. Finally.

I let my head fall back against the soft pillows. Arguing sure takes the energy out of me.

But I do feel much better. I'm still in discomfort, but not excruciating pain anymore. Thank goodness. Shoulders suck!
The door creaks open and Derrin walks in, carrying water and food. He sets it down beside me, then pulls up a chair.

Why is he everywhere!

"How are you doing?" He asks me. I try to shrug, then wince at the sharp pain.

"Ok." He nods his head, but doesn't say anything else.

"Can you please give me the food? I haven't eaten in three days and I'm starving!" I groan desperately.

"Of course your first request is for food." He groans, but smiling gently. He hands me a slice of bread with butter which I hungrily dig into. Once I'm stuffed with bread and water, I relax against the pillows once more.
When my stomach is happy, I'm happy.

"We should talk. It doesn't have to be today, but we need to talk at one point." Derrin breaks the awkward silence.

"Can we talk now? I might not get another chance to." I ask. Derrin looks at me, and I can finally see how annoyed he is with me. I wince, but not from the pain.

"Ok. I'm going to get to the point. Why have you been ignoring me!?" He asks frustratedly. I avert my eyes.

"I'm sorry. But it was for your own good. Somebody was threatening you." I whisper.
His brow furrows.

"Who?"

"Nobody."

"I thought we were going to be honest with each other!"

"Fine! It was Briss!"

After I explain about how Briss blackmailed me, Derrin stands up and paces the room.

"That awful ugly devil spawn witch!" Derrin says. I sit up, and put a hand on his shoulder.

"I can't see you for now. But you know I'm not ignoring you. It's just to keep you safe. There's only a few days left anyway." I tell him. He nods. Then he frowns.

"What are you doing sitting up?" He asks. As if on cue, my head starts to spin. I realize then exactly how weak I am.

"Rest now ok?" He says. I nod, and rest back against the pillows. This is better. I'm glad things are sorted out.
Everything's going to be ok.
I'm sure.

Thanks to all my fans! You guys are all so sweet and awesome! I couldn't do this without you. I'm sorry for not updating a lot. I was...preoccupied. But it's good now. I'm unprepccupied now, and ready to get into the best part of this story! Keep reading! It gets better!! But thanks again.