Chapter 19

Edited

Late that night, I stumble into our bedroom. Then I hobble to the bathroom-my body aching and sore from this afternoon. I turn the tap in the bathtub, and soon the large oval is filled with steaming hot water. I see a bag of rose petals sitting on top of the cupboard and grab it. I dump it into my foamy bath. Then I strip off my sweaty clothes and let myself sink into the bath.

I ponder life in the bathtub. I'm in a angry mood right now, and can't help but fantasize how Gai best be treated for treason once I am crowed.

After thinking about this...lovely thought for a couple minutes I arrive at a more pressing issue. What to do about Briss. Kaone as well, but Briss is my main priority. She's the most dangerous one to me. I need to do something. Something to show her that if she works with me, I can help her. I set about solving that problem, thinking into it deeply. I've got this. I'll find a solution.

An hour later, I'm still drawing a blank. I don't know what to do. The girl that always has a plan...has no plan. I suddenly feel a chill run through my body, and realize I've been soaking in the bath for a long time. The water is ice cold. I guess I've been so lost in thought that I forgot that I was in a bath tub. I pull the plug to the tub and haul myself out. I wrap my goose flesh skin in a warm robe, and sit on the counter. Back to Briss. I run through all the possibility's in my head. They all end in
a) My death
b) Her death
c) Faiyria's death

I don't know how I can become the Queen if Briss isn't on my side. She's a definite threat. But I don't want to kill her.
'Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won'

I throw on my nightgown, and finger comb my knotted hair. I attempt to make it smooth, but for every knot I untangle, another one appears. Oh what the heck. I walk out and flop onto my bed. Finally, my weary mind cones up with a plan-to let everything play out itself. Ok, so maybe it's more like straws to grasp at, but it's all I've got. For now.

I can't sleep. It's past midnight, but I'm wide awake. When I was in the orphanage, only one thing helped me calm down enough to sleep. So I slide my legs over the edge of my bed and stand up. Then I slip out of the room I share into the hall.
I meander around Asenhouse, thinking. In fact, I'm so deep in thought that I don't hear the footsteps behind me until it's too late. Again. Man.....I really need to be more attentive to these things. I have a talent for getting into really bad situations. I'm in a narrow passage right outside Gai's room and I feel a sharp point in my back. I freeze.

"Don't move or I'll kill you. I swear I will!" Briss's voice wobbles like she's terrified. I roll my eyes and smile. She won't kill me. So I tell her that. The knife pokes me just a little bit harder.

"Ouch! Watch it! What do you want?"I whisper-hiss angrily.

"I just want to survive Lynx! I don't want to die!" Briss sounds like she's been crying.

"Where did you get the knife?" I ask her quietly. This is my chance to get her on my side.

"I stole it. From the kitchen. I need your help." She sighs. I shake my head.

"Now you need me? Why would I make a deal with the devil?" I tease mockingly. The knife presses harder my back. I wince and draw in a sharp breath.

"Shut up! I'm going to win ok? Your a wild card and Kaone's too boring." Briss mutters...yet she sounds unsure.

"You're a puppet Briss! At least I have a personality." I whisper angrily.

"I'm not a puppet! I'm not going to listen to Gai when I get crowned!" Briss sneers, tossing her head triumphantly. I just shake my head and laugh. Her smirk falters.

"What?" She says, her confidence fading.

"News flash for you-behind this door is Gai's room. And if I'm not mistaken, he just heard every word you said." I mutter threateningly. Her blue eyes widen in alarm, taking her eyes off of me too look around. I take my chance to seize the knife and hit her over the head with the handle. Briss's eyes roll back into her head and she crumples to the ground. I throw down the knife and then walk back to my room.

In the morning Briss is in her bed. I must have slept through her coming back in here. That makes me uneasy. Who knows what she could of done to me while I slept? But I have all of my limbs, and I'm breathing, so I think I'm fine. Briss wakes up immediately after me. She sees me awake and her eyes widen in fear. Kaone is still completely out of it, so Briss hops out of her bed and comes over to me.

"Lynx! Please please don't tell! I swear I'll do anything for you. Please!" She begs, tears falling from her eyes, and dropping onto my crisp white sheets. I nod seriously at her.

"Ok. But you have to stop competing." I respond.

"I'll die! Lynx please...I don't want to die yet!" Briss cries out, sobbing harder.
"Don't worry. I won't let Gai kill you. Our anybody for a matter of fact. We're all coming out of this. I swear." I whisper, grasping her hand. She nods slowly, searching my eyes.

"Thank you." She mutters. Then she goes back to her bed. I lie back down.
Plan Briss was a success. Even though I didn't know the plan until I was living it, it still went off without a hitch.
Thank goodness.