Chapter 16

Edited

The very moment I walk down into breakfast hall, Gai's eagle eyes spot me.

"Lynx dear..let's have chat." He greets me. I roll my eyes.

"Whatever you say Gai 'dear'." I mock him. I'm not in the mood to play nice.

It's his turn to roll his eyes.

"Come Lynx." He orders me, striding out of the hall. Sighing, I follow him out of the hall.

Once we reach his office, he closes the door behind me with a bang. A slight chill runs through my body. I hate being alone with Gai. After all he's done....he creeps me out.

"So Lynx, how was your evening last night?" He asks me politely. I look at him flatly. I know why I'm here.

"Fine I guess." I say coolly-disclosing nothing.

His face hardens.

"Did you like rubbing shoulders with royalty?" He responds, fighting to stay calm. I just give a noncommittal shrug.
Gai grinds his teeth in frustration.

"What did you talk about with the queen?" He hisses. I roll my eyes.

"Why is everybody so curious! She just asked me about my life. About how you found your long lost daughters, and what I did before that. Etc." I scoff.

Gai leans back in his comfy high backed chair.

"That's all?" He commands, back to his calm self. I nod reassuringly plastering a fake smile onto my face.

"Can I leave now?" I ask sarcastically. He nods and I stand. Just as I reach the door, he stops me.

"If I find that you're hiding something from me-then you're a dead girl."

I freeze and take it in for a second.

Then I turn, smile reassuringly at Gai and make a fast exit.

Because of my talk with my mom, I know exactly what I need to do. So I do it. I throw all my energy into training, studying, and sucking up to Gai. I need to win, and if this is what it takes, fine. I'll do it. There's really no other option for me. Either I succeed or I fail. And I cannot fail.
The days pass, and with every day I work harder. Faiyria is in the hands of Gai, and he doesn't even know it. Oh the irony.
At night, I stay up late reading about the (extremely boring) history of Faiyria. Of course, being the princess, I already know all of the boring stuff. But I know that servants report back to Gai. If this goes how I think it will, then Gai will hear about me, wild card, he'll be impressed. That is exactly what I'm counting on.

Briss continues to throws me dirty looks, and Kaone just avoids me. Ever since the incident with her and Briss the other day, I've completely stopped talking to her. I catch her eyes now. She studies me for a couple long seconds, then looks away, guilt written on her face. I look back at her for a split second more before turning back to my books with a pang of regret resounding through my chest. I actually was beginning to like Kaone. I almost thought she was my friend.

I thought wrong.

That night, I sleep restlessly. Gai said he would announce his princess the next morning, and I just can't think about anything else. Eventually I give up trying to sleep, and pace around my room. Eventually our room becomes too small for me and I feel claustrophobic. I can't take in anymore. I fling open the door and run out of the room.

I jog through the halls, bumping into servants as I go.

"Oops....Sorry...I'll clean that up later...I'm sorry." I mumble through the crowd of servants. I round a corner and bump into Derrin. He grabs my shoulders, slowing me down.
"Slow down!" He laughs, obviously happy. I force a smile.
"Sorry." I mumble. He sees past my fake smile and frowns.

"You'll be ok. You're the best option, and everybody knows it. Derrin whispers.
His face is near mine. He smells like pine needles, a intoxicating scent, and subconsciously, I find myself leaning closer, my heart thumping loudly in my chest.
No.
I step away, trying to ignore the heat rushing up my neck.

"Thanks. Bye," I mutter quickly. Then I turn and jog in the opposite direction before he can say anything.

..........................................................

The three of us sit in Gai's office, lined up in a perfectly straight row. I nervously jiggle my knees. Kaone is playing with her hair, and Briss is cracking her knuckles. All three of us are deadly silent, and avoiding eye contact.
Gai clears his throat-snapping us to attention.

"I've made my decision." He states. The tension in the room is unbearable.
This is it.
But we are interrupted. Mufar runs in, heading directly to Gai's side. He whispers something in Gai's ear. I swallow with difficulty. I just want to get it over with. Gai turns to us, a apologetic expression on his face.

"I have a announcement....The royal family never woke up last night. All three of them....they are all dead."