Kenny X Poor!Reader- Everyday struggle

It was a quiet morning in South Park, as (Y/N) rolls over and turns her alarm clock off. It's a little earlier than most of her classmates would be comfortable with, but she didn't mind. After all, she had some important tasks to complete before she could go to school.

She gets up, and after getting dressed, and brushing her teeth she goes into the kitchen to prepare lunch. The homemade biscuits she made a couple days ago are still fresh, so she takes a slice of cheese, and divides it in between a couple slices of ham before placing a water bottle and a small snack in the lunch box. After her lunch if ready, she turns and makes sure her parents' meals are still in the refrigerator, ready for them to eat. She hopes that they will be able to enjoy what she made, especially after she took advantage of a sale, and used a lot of coupons.

For as long as (Y/N) could remember, she has always taken care of herself. She would keep the house clean, or as clean as she could with the limited supplies, and buy groceries for at least a month. She didn't go out, or spend time with friends, and the little free time she has would go to studying so she could have a chance at a better education, and hopefully a job that could help her, and her family.

Due to unfortunate circumstances, her family had fallen into debt, and as a result she didn't get to see her parents as often. Despite being so young, (Y/N) understood the sacrificed her parents made just so they could have food on the table, so she did her best to be supportive of them whenever they had to stay later for one of their many jobs. She even used time at the school computer lab to find blogs made specifically for helping families on a strict budget, just so she could help her family save as much money as possible.

Poor (Y/N) understood the struggles her parents would face, but sadly, many others at her school wouldn't, which is why she kept it a secret, and barely talked to anyone in fear that someone would get too close and see her barely furnished home, and make fun of her for not having a computer, or a television that didn't look like it belonged in a museum.

After all of her chores are done, (Y/N) grabs her backpack and walks to the closest bus stop. It takes a few minutes, but soon she finds herself standing with a group of boys. The larger of the group, a boy she knows as Eric Cartman, teases his friend Kenny about being poor, as he waves something in front of the perverted boy's face. (Y/N) tries to hold in an annoyed groan, as she turns and faces forward.

"Oh, uh, hey...(Y/N), right?" she turns and notices Kyle. She replies with a small nod. She can tell that he's trying to be polite with some small talk. "I saw how you did on the last test. Great job, by the way."

"Thank you." She replies with a soft voice. "It was a little nerve-wracking, wasn't it? I was scared of failing it." she fidgets with a strand of (h/c) hair as she looks at him. "and I already know you aced yours, so congratulations." She soon notices the other boys have gone quiet, and realizes they're staring at her. "What? Do I have something in my hair?" she tries to stay calm.

"We're just not used to hearing you speak." Kyle replies with a sheepish grin.

"Oh..." (Y/N) trails off as she goes back to staring at the ground. Soon the rest of the boys go back to talking among themselves, but little did (Y/N) know, Kenny was looking at her, frowning to himself as he observed her.

----.----.----.----

"Alright, class settle down!" Mr. Garrison yells as the students stop talking. "Today I'm going to give you a take home project." a few students groan. "I'm going to pair each of you up with a classmate and a topic, so here's hoping at least one of you doesn't screw this up."

(Y/N) tenses up when she hears this. The idea of someone finding her secret scares her, but she forces herself to stay quiet as Mr. Garrison lists off names. She lets out a small sigh of relief when Cartman is assigned to someone else, bu freezes up when she finds out who she's paired with.

Her crush, Kenny McCormick.

She can feel her face heat up as she moves her desk closer to the perverted blond. Even though most of his face is covered up, she's pretty sure he's smirking at her skittish reactions, and can only hope the embarrassment will end quickly.

"I-I...I'm sorry, but I can't understanding you." she nervously looks at him. Due to his orange parka muffling his speech.

With a small laugh, he lowers part of his hood, so his mouth is uncovered. "I said, you're really cute when you're flustered." Before she can reply, the teacher hands them a packet with most of the project information.

"Should we meet up at your place?" (Y/N) asks as she looks through the packet. She doesn't notice Kenny's reaction, but she does hear Cartman's loud, and obnoxious laughter.

"Maybe it would be best if we met at your place."

"W-well you see...I-I..." (Y/N) struggles to find the right words. "That's not a very good idea. M-My parents won't be h-home, and I d-don't think they would appreciate m-me bringing a boy b-back."

"I won't try anything, unless...you want to skip the boring part and do a special type of studying?" he wiggles his eyebrows suggestively, causing (Y/N) to cover her face.

This would be a long project...

----.----.----.----

(Y/N) paces as she tries to prepare herself for Kenny's arrival. She spent a lot of time trying to make her house look presentable, but there was only so much a couple extra pillows on the couch could do.

"You can do this..." she keeps quietly telling herself, before there's a knock at the door.

She starts to panic, but stops herself long enough to regain enough composure to open the door. Kenny walks in, carrying a couple of books, and after placing them on the work out end table, he looks around. She's scared that he's secretly judging her.

"Nice place." he comments as he takes a seat on the couch.

"T-thanks." (Y/N) feels her face go warm again as she sits down next to him. The old couch creeks in protest as the two get settled in.

It's not long until they start working on the project, and even though she does most of the important work, probably due to being one of the smarter kids in the class, he does manage to help, and even makes her laugh a few times. By the time she's finally more comfortable with him, most of the important parts of the project are done.

"The good news is the hard parts are done already." she rolls her eyes and playfully swats his arm when he laughs. "I think we can have this done by the end of tomorrow." Kenny nods as he closes the books and stacks them on top of each other. The books will stay with her until the end of the project, mainly to keep them and the work in a presentable condition.

As she walks with him to the door, she can't help but blurt out "It was nice working with you."

"It was alright, but I'd rather spend time with you in a more fun way." he gives her that cheeky grin that makes the other girls swoon. Right as he's in the doorway, he turns to her. "I like you, (Y/N), why don't we go out on Friday, and see where it goes?"

(Y/N) can feel her heart beating faster, and wouldn't be surprised if she can feel it if she places her hand over her chest. "I-I'd love to."

"Cool. I'll see you after school." he grins before kissing her on the forehead, covering his mouth, and walking off to his home. She watches him leave, before closing the door and leaning against it.

Maybe things would finally take a turn for the better.

--------------------.--------------------

Requested by Fan-Girl01