32. Danger at our doorstep

Lisa didn't call that evening, and to my shame I completely forgot that she had to. Actually, I wasn't the only one. We remembered only the next day and a huge feeling of dread settled in the house. I felt it as soon as I woke up, even though I was wrapped up in Nick's arms (oh yes, that night he stayed with me, we cuddled until I fell asleep and I felt as if I were in heaven). We silently got up from bed and went to have breakfast. 

Doc Evans was gloomier that before, Jonathan's brows seemed to cover his eyes they were furrowed that much, and Shirley was cooking up a storm. The twins and Lena were patrolling, Nathan and Hannah still haven't arrived. The tension was palpable. We ate silently and felt helpless. 

Doc was checking his phone every 5 minutes, but didn't say a word. I started squirming in my seat and Nick placed a calming hand on my thigh. That seemed to sooth me a little, but still I was tense. No one spoke. 

That was how we spent our morning, in complete silence. Everyone tried finding something to occupy their time and hands with, but me and Nick decided to use this opportunity to have some private moments and went to the back yard, lounging in the swing chair. 

I was once again tucked into his side with my head under his chin, his arms around me and my hands on his chest. Moments of bliss in the middle of a madhouse our life's have turned into because of me. Stop it!  My subconscious me said sternly. It's not your fault, it's the universe. Blame the universe. Yeah, right, I scoffed inwardly. Avoiding the responsibility was never in my character. You are just being negative. Life sucks, so suck it up and stop whining. Yeah, that's what I should do, I should stop whining. If only it was that easy to shoo the guilt from my mind. 

"I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen" I said quietly. Nick's arms around me tightened a bit before he spoke. 

"You are probably right..." his voice was calm and serious. "There's no point in denying the reality. But listen to me," he lifted my chin with his soft touch and looked deep in my eyes, "I would rather die than let anything happen to you and the baby. I promise." with that he placed his hand on my belly and lowered his lips to mine. The kiss was so soft, but it was filled with promise and a lot of things unspoken. His touch was so gentle, as if I were a fragile precious gift, and in that moment I realised that I, Emily Rose, was deeply in love with Nick. So I responded to the kiss with all I had in me, trying to say everything I didn't have the courage to say out loud yet through this kiss. 

Our lips were moving in such a wonderful tandem and soon the kiss became more heated. His lips detached from mine and moved down my jaw towards my neck, my head fell back to give him more access and I felt my body light up from his touch, my closed eyes opened slightly, and the look in them probably was hooded with the passion I have never felt before. But a second passed and he stopped, froze in place. 

"What's wrong?..." I whispered confused. He kept quiet for a while, taking deep breaths, but then he finally responded in a trained voice.

"I want to mark you so bad..."

Mark me? My face scrunched up in confusion, but then I remembered what it was about. That's right, I've read it in a book, werewolf's mark their mates by leaving a bite on their neck, on the spot where it connects with the shoulder. 

"So why don't you? I'm not objecting..." I replied with my cheeks flaming. 

He looked at me with sad eyes and after another deep breath pressed his forehead to mine.

"I can't yet." he said sadly.

"But why?" I asked confused and slightly offended. Didn't he want we? He did say he wanted to mark me, then why not?