Memory Eight

The summer I was ten and the guys were thirteen was the year that Joseph went on his very first date. He'd already kissed a girl two years earlier but this was the first girl he actually really liked. And at first Drew and I knew nothing about her which is why we bonded more during this time. I loved it because I was finally in on the joke.

     It all started on a Saturday night (I don't remember the exact date but I know it was in July.) Drew had come over with some new video games that he wanted to play with Joseph and I opened the door for him.

    It was dark outside and Joseph hadn't been out of his room all day. Drew, being his best friend, knew something was up because he'd been acting like that all week.

     "Wanna have some fun Sky?" he said to me sitting the games on the coffee table. I smiled, I didn't care what we were going to do I just wanted to do something, anything. "Yeah!" I reply happily. Drew high fives me and then asks, "Where are your parents?"

"They're watching movies downstairs."

"Perfect." he says.

      Five minutes later, we were creeping up the steps toward Joseph's room which was suprisingly closed. He hardly ever closed his door. "Sky," drew whispered to me. "Don't say a word." And I didn't. We just stood there listening. We could hear the muffled sound of Joseph talking but we couldn't hear what he was saying. At ten, i was sort of impatient so I was already getting a little bored.

    Brave as Drew was he cracked Joseph's door open just a little bit so we could see into his room and hear better. Joseph was lying on his bed sideways with his feet on the wall talking on the phone. "...very funny." he was saying. "You're so cute Melissa." He pauses probably listening to something that "Melissa" said and then he laughs. it was almost too disgusting to watch. "Yeah so are you free tommorow? I kinda wanted to take you out." He listens.

"You wanna go out for dinner and a movie? Ok. It's a date."

    He hangs up the phone and tosses it on the bed next to him. A big goofy smile is plastered on his face. He sits up on the bed and before we get caught, Drew drags me away from the door. "So little Joseph's got a girlfriend?" Drew says thoughtfully. "We're gonna have some fun with this."

    Joseph opens the door to his room and Drew stands up straight. "What's up man." he says acting as if he knew nothing. "I got some new video games. Wanna play them?" Joseph nods.

"Yeah just let me put my phone on the charger." Joseph says. After he disappears from view Drew winks at me. "We're gonna stalk Joseph on his date." he says quietly.

    The movie theater is two blocks from our house so the next night it wasn't too hard for Drew and I to follow Joseph and Melissa. We kept our distance hiding behind trees and bushes and even though i almost got us caught a bunch of times, we eventually made it to the theater unseen. i don't remember what movie it was that they saw but i do remember Drew paying my way in. He always had money so it wasn't a problem for him.

    We sat maybe 5 rows behind them and while they watched the movie, I realized that Melissa was actually cute! Drew and I watched as Joseph tried to be smooth and put his arm around Melissa and we watched as they whispered hardly paying attention to the movie. And then that's when it happened, they started kissing. I'm in utter shock but Drew just grins. "Joseph's finally become a man."

"Ew!" I say in response.

"Ok now it's time for the fun." he says. He picks up the pack of gummy worms and the pack of chocolate covered raisins we bought and opens the pack. "We're only gonna throw a few at a time." he tells me.

      He throws the first gummy worm and it lands right onto Joseph's lap. Joseph stops kissing Melissa and looks around like an idiot. Melissa looks at him like he's crazy. We ducked down so he wouldn't see us. He turns back to his date and Drew and I stifle our laughs. Drew throws a bunch more at him making Joseph look like an idiot once again. Then he finally turns to me. "Your turn Sky." he says. "You want a worm or a raisin?" he asks me. I take a chocolate covered raisin and hit Joseph square in the back of his head.

      Me being small and all, I was a little too slow at ducking down so Joseph saw us. He abandoned Melissa at their seats who called, "Joseph where are you going?" and got up and chased us out of the theater. It was so funny that I almost peed on myself. He eventually stopped chasing us halfway down the block and I was so tired that Drew gave me a piggy back ride the rest of the walk home. It was one of the few times Drew and I were partners in crime and I'll never forget it. The night we made Joseph look like an idiot on his 1st date.