Memory Sixteen

The only other time I can ever remember lying to my parents about where I was, was a year after Drew left town. I'd finally gave up on the idea of Drew coming back and us ever getting together so I finally decided to go to a party with Amber. It was at some guy named Aries house and I gotta I say that I was kind of excited. I was finally going out on my own not living in the shadow of the boys. I put on my cutest outfit and met at Amber's house. My parents had no idea I was going because if they had, they'd probably have said no. Amber's mom was much cooler than mine so she drove us to Aries house and from there, we were on our own. Freshmen in a sea of upperclassmens.  

   From there things kind of went crazy. Amber and I awkwardly stood around before we actually started dancing and then Amber met some junior and ditched me. I felt so bored and out of place and I was sitting on a couch alone when a guy tapped me. He was cute, not as cute as Drew but I was bored so I ended up talking to him.

"Hey," I said.

"What's up, I'm Sean."

"I'm Sky." That's how it all pretty much started then we ended up talking about a ton of different things. I found out that he was a sophomore and that he'd just gotten his permit, and that like me, his friend had dragged him to the party. I was actually started having a good time. "Wanna go upstairs?" Sean asked. "It's kind of loud down here." It was true and I knew that Sean wasn't THAT kind of guy. You know, the kind to take advantage of a girl so I followed him up the steps to an empty bedroom.

"So..." Is all I can manage to say.

"You're a really cool girl Sky, I'd really like to see you again." he tells me. I smile. It was nice to finally talk to a guy that wasn't Drew.

"I'd like to see you again too." I say honestly causing him to grin. He moved closer to me and I suddenly go stiff. I'd hardly had any experience with boys beside that one little kiss with Dex two years before so I was feeling a little shy. I decided to just let him do whatever he was planning to do though because there really was no point in waiting around for Drew. He hesitated as if waiting to see if it was okay with me and then he bent down to kiss me. And you know what my first thought was? I can tell you one thing, it wasn't a good one. I hated it. It just didn't feel right. I wondered for a moment if I was just some weirdo who didn't understand kissing so I let him kiss me some more but I just couldn't stand it so I pulled away.

"You're so pretty Sky," Sean says. He moves down to my neck and kisses it. I hated it but for some reason I continued to let him do it. It was as if I were trying to force myself to like it. When he started to suck on my neck though, I stopped him. "Um Sean, I don't wanna do this." I tell him.

"Do what? We're only kissing. I'd never try to you know, I hardly even know you," he says sincerely.

"I know but um I have to go." I say getting up. I run to the bathroom and I'm shocked to see a bruise on my neck. How could this have happened? I thought to myself. I stopped him! I look at myself in the mirror disgusted. How could I hide it from my parents? I found Amber and forced her to call her mom to come pick us up. She looks at me.

"You're such a party pooper!" she complained. I show her my neck.

"OMG! Sky! Who gave you that?! If you're going to make out, don't leave evidence!"

"I know, I'm stuipid now help me come up with a plan." She thinks about it for a moment.

"Just tell your parents you're spending the night over my house and we can try to figure out how to get rid of it."

Later on that night, as I sat on Amber's windowsill still awake, she'd gotten up and sat next to me. "So who was he?" she asks.

"His name was Sean, he's a sophomore at our school." I tell her.

"You like him?" I shake my head. "Then why'd you kiss him and let him put that on your neck?"

"I don't know, I did like him until he kissed me."

"What do you mean?"

"It just- it just didn't feel right."

"Maybe it's because you don't really like him. They say if the kiss is not good, it's not meant to be..."

"Where'd you read that?"

"Seventeen Magazine..." I laugh feeling horrible an stupid.

"We should go to sleep Sky. We've got a long day ahead of figuring out how to get rid of your 'mark'"

"You're right."

"Sky, maybe you should just wait. You don't have to kiss people and have boyfriends just because I do and you see other girl with ones. Just wait. You'll find someone who you actually like and who you actually wanna kiss." She was right and I knew it because for me, Drew was that guy only he was always out of reach. I went to bed dreaming of Drew and woke up to Googling how to get rid of hickeys. In the end, I never got caught by my parents and to this day, I avoid eye-contact with Sean in the hall. I haven't lied to my parents since until... now.