Newt (20)

Newt's behavior was really unlike him, but you chose to ignore it.
  But you couldn't not notice it.
  Minho's run felt longer to you, Newt never worked at the Gardens with you anymore, as second in command he found his place, left you behind without a word.
  You dug up carrots and potatoes, picked apples and oranges and green beans alone, struggling under the hot sun.
  Today was a particularly hot day, and you felt very grimey.
  You questioned Newt. Was he angry at you, or just busy? Did he not care anymore?
  Lunch came around, Minho was eating in the maze, and Newt was obviously not planning on sitting with you until you waved him over. He smiled, he didn't look angry.
  "Where have you been?" You ask as he sits down.
  "I've been busy." He says plainly, playing with his sandwich and looking down at his plate.
  "Are you mad at me?" You ask, he looks up, his face is all scrunched up in disbelief.
  "Y/n, why would I ever be mad at you?"
  "I just thought, maybe you were. Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe you got tired of me." You shrug, and begin eating your sandwich.
  "I could never be mad at you or be tired of you. You're my best friend. I care about you, you shank."
You smile. "I care about you too."
___

   Newt didn't come back to the Gardens, but when you saw him across the Glade, and he saw you,  he'd wave.
  The day was over soon, it went quickly after lunch. The sun was beginning to come down, so Minho should be coming in soon.
  You and Newt were walking around the edges of the woods, talking in a whisper.
  "So was work fun without me?" He asks, his hands in his pockets, his looks down at his feet, kicking at the dirt before him.
  "No, it was the worst day ever." You say, and bump into his side playfully. He bumps you back.
  "You say that an awful lot."
  "I do not! I have great days! But you're always there to keep a smile on my face, today was just dirt and grime." You grimace.
  "I'll be back tomorrow, then it'll be normal again." He says, and puts his arm on your shoulders.
  It doesn't feel weird or awkward, he's your Newt so it was normal. "Here, let's start walking towards your little shack." He says. "Which, you really need to clean."
  "I'm cleaner than you!"
  "No you aren't, I went in there to get a rag from your closet, and your clothes were everywhere, your blanket was thrown halfway across the room, pillow in the bathroom, and towels pulled from the closet."
  "Okay, so I'm a bit of a mess." You shrug. "But at least I bathe every day."
  "I do bathe."
  "Highly doubt it with this greasy hair," you say, and ruffle up his hair.
  He laughs. "I've worked hard today. Don't criticize me."
  "I have shampoo you can borrow, stop by and I'll lend it to you."
  "Thanks but no thanks. I don't want to smell like a girl."
  "Oh that's right, men here have to have their manly natural musk." He smiles and looks at you. Your eyes were on the ground, noticing how yours and his steps were in sync. You look up to him, his smile made you feel happy, so you grinned back. "What?"
  "Nothing. It's just-" he shakes his head and looks at the ground, still smiling.
  "Just what?" You say, still smiling.
  It takes a minute. The sun was beginning to set. "It's just, you're so beautiful, especially when you smile." The compliment made you happy, because it was kind and flattering, but...
  "Thank you." You blush and look down, your smile faded away. What about Minho? Why are you blushing? Is there something-anything else you should say?
  "Y/n!" You hear from the distance. It's Minho's voice. The sun is down and he's back from the run. Relief floods through you.
  "I've got to go, Newt." And you sprint off towards the love of your life. His arms were opened wide for you, you smiled as you ran into them. They wrapped around you tightly. You expected your heart to flutter as it always did when you thought about how much you loved him.
  But it wasn't there to greet you.
  You and Minho kissed goodnight, then went separate ways. He was really exhausted from the run. You went and bathed the dirt and grime off, then headed off to bed. You crawled under the covers, and wrapped up. You began to let your mind wander. You usually thought of Minho's face, and how much you loved him.
  But tonight, Newt's replaced it.
----
Uh-oh