Chapter One: Über Soldaten

Germany - 1942

Germany - 1942

The sky seemed like it would never wash away the dark red that stained the horizon. Everything was burning, even books weren't safe from the Nazi regime. It may have been nothing but ink and paper, but it felt as if the ideas contained in the books were disappearing as the pages turned to ash. Bastion Keller still remembered the first book burning he had witnessed, and the feeling of hopelessness that it brought. It was a reminder of how far the country had fallen and denied its people of any original thought.

That was years ago now, back when Bastion had rebelliously dared to think for himself and to question the goals of their leader. He was a kid, no older than ten, and that was one of the last memories of the outside world that he carried with him. He was taken under a program titled simply 'Über Soldaten', an experiment to create the ultimate weapon... Soldiers with the ability to penetrate minds and fire weapons with nothing more than a thought.

Their goal was to use Aryan children for this experiment, for such a gift could only be given to those they deemed worthy of it. There were risks involved though, especially in the testing stages, so they took in other kids as well; ones without the purity of blond hair and blue eyes to use as guinea pigs. None of them survived.

They took these children from their families, many of which gave them up willingly in fear of the consequences, and were moved to a facility within an area of Baden-Württemberg known only as The Black Forest. In this dimly lit laboratory there was no movement and no odour of any kind. There were lights, but like the stars in a night sky they did little to lift the blackness. There was a black metallic roof above, and a black metallic floor below. Every footfall echoed around, not loudly, but enough to puncture the usual silence. It was enough to drive people mad, and maybe that was part of the plan.

"Number 148." A voice called over the loud speaker.

Bastion stood immediately, and without the slightest hint of hesitation, he sauntered towards the experimentation room. He was much older now, twenty-six to be exact. He had lived the majority of his life in those walls, training and preparing to be sent to war. He was taught multiple languages, advanced combat techniques and weaponry training in addition to how to use his newly formed powers.

He walked passed the morgue, people he'd known his entire life and kids that had been brought in not long ago were stacked in a lifeless pile. Most didn't survive the tests. Bastion was so used to the sight of corpses that he didn't even give it a second glance.

The door to his destination was already wide open. A man in a lab coat two sizes too big was holding it for him. Bastion didn't know his name but he had always seemed a little more decent than the other scientists.

When Bastion entered he saw five more people in the room...well, five more live people. On the ground were four more, all lifeless corpses killed in various ways. One had a shard of glass lodged into his skull (from the broken mirror also present in the vicinity), another had no visible signs of damage but had died clutching his stomach, and the last two had their necks popped in sickening directions.