Chapter Four: Charon's Boat

Author's Note: I have returned! This is just a note informing everyone that the Justice League story has been released early

Author's Note: I have returned! This is just a note informing everyone that the Justice League story has been released early. It obviously follows Diana and Bastion after this story, so it will not be updated until this one is complete. Still, there are two chapters up if you're interested in getting started. Don't forget to add it to your reading list so that you're informed when I finally start updating it. <3

----------------------------------------------------

At first, the path they walked was littered with bones like rubbish on the sidewalk of a city. Eventually though they multiplied and formed the avenue in which they trod. Ribcages comprised the middle, whilst Femurs and Humerus' lined the outside of the path. Wonder Woman seemed less than bothered to walk upon the corpses of others. Surprisingly, it was Bastion that found himself feeling squeamish.

"You seem to be fine with walking atop the bones of others." He finally spat out, eyes still glued to the bodies beneath his shoes.

"This is not my first time in the Underworld." Diana answered simply, breaking a Ribcage clean in half with her boot. "Why, are you scared of old bones?" She taunted.

Bastion winced at the sound. He had seen his share of death, but even to him this was considered disrespectful. "Don't be ridiculous. I've killed plenty. But death and desecration are two seperate things entirely."

"I do not see the problem. They are not people anymore." Diana continued forward without a moment's hesitance in her stride. "The body is just a shell to hold the soul, once that which it is protecting is gone, then it is nothing more than a broken carcass."

Bastion scoffed. He had seen bodies piled ontop of one another, others thrown into furnaces, but never had he walked over them until now. Despite the distasteful things he had done for his country, this just felt wrong. Perhaps he was growing soft...

"Have you never stepped through grass or walked through a forest?" She continued. "You are stepping on the bodies of those that came centuries before you. The ones that had fed the soil and disintegrated into mere dust. The difference here is that you can see what you're walking on, it wouldn't have been a thought in your mind if you couldn't."

"For someone that spent a solid ten minutes lecturing me about an Elm tree holding the last remnants of a persons mortality, you don't seem too fussed about their physical forms."

"An arm does not hold a person's ambitions, nor does their torso hold their ideals. The Elm was a completely separate matter."

Bastion was completely puzzled by this answer, to say the least. The two situations didn't seem too different to him. They were both semblances of the mortal world.