Chapter Six: Road To Tartarus

In the endless depth of Styx there was no sense of time

In the endless depth of Styx there was no sense of time. The river was everywhere at once, and only the present existed for it. Not the shadow of the past nor the shadow of the future. It was a never-ending moment, suspended by the earth's most terrible desires. Bastion could do nothing but flail around in the thick, red river as he drowned; hands of the damned pulling him further into their watery graves. They tore at his skin with their jagged fingernails, ripping small strings of flesh from bone. The more Bastion tried to pull them off, the deeper their grip sunk. The river of Styx would not be denied if it's sacrifice. It had been hungrily awaiting a new victim to claim, and add to the souls that polluted its vast waters.

After what felt like decades of sinking, unable to breathe or fight, there was a small glimmer of light that appeared in the distance. As it drew closer the hands that pulled on Bastion's every muscle, finally seemed to loosen their grip. Then, with the shrieking cry of thousands of corpses, they disintegrated; becoming one with the river once more.

Another pair of arms, much stronger than any of the last, wrapped around his exhausted frame and heaved him upward. His mind screamed at him to fight back, but it was as if the river itself had devoured most of his energy. He felt almost lifeless; seconds away from joining the men and women that had perished in the river before him. Then he broke the surface of Styx, and with a large gulp of air, he swiftly glanced back at the arms still pulling him through the water. Wonder Woman. She sped through the thick, tar-like liquid; the river's droplets gripping onto them both like ink being pulled from its well by a frayed brush

Leaving Charon's boat floating ominously amongst the rippling waves, Diana pulled him to the bile-coloured shore. Bastion attempted to catch his breath, but each large gulp of air only heightened his need for more oxygen. Wonder Woman, on the other hand, didn't look even the least bit tired. She stood up, hands on her hips and blowing a stray strand of hair away from her eyes. "I thought I told you not to trust Charon."

"I didn't." Bastion spluttered out the remnants of Styx that had still been lodged in his lungs. The blackened beads morphed together, into a small puddle, then crawled back towards the river. Leaving a damp trail behind it like a slug. Bastion sighed, evidently unfazed by the tricks of the underworld. "Should I know why that water just crawled away?"

"It is returning to its body." Diana shrugged nonchalantly. It seemed fairly obvious to her, but this finally jolted a reaction in Bastion.

"You mean to the river?" The man questioned, completely perplexed by the idea.

"To Styx." Diana held a hand out for Bastion, which he gladly took. With one effortless pull he was back on his wobbly feet, still feeling a little drained.

Bastion's eyes dared to glance back over to the river, and now he saw that the waves weren't as chaotic or uncoordinated as it originally appeared. They had a certain rhythm to them...an awareness. "Let me guess, Styx is alive."