The Men Who Wouldn't Say No.

We returned to the room and I was put in a spare room in the court physician's chambers.  I excused myself for the evening.  Tomorrow would be a long day, the one after it even longer. I awaited my trip home with much excitement.  The next morning I woke to shuffling in the main chambers. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I quickly dressed before walking to the door. My hand rested on the handle. Only one more day of these bizarre Camelot ways and I'd return to my quiet life. I opened the door to find Gaius at the table having breakfast.

"Good morning, Gaius," I gave a wave of my hand as I sat at the table.

"How are you feeling this morning?" he answered.

"I'm alright.  I feel better after a good night of sleep."

"Hey Gaius, how does this look?" Merlin asked coming out of his room in some sort of fancy attire.

"Woah. Look at you dressed up all nice," I joked, grabbing a bit of bread.

He stumbled back into his room. A few things sounded like they had knocked over. I grabbed the piece of bread I was eating and headed out of the room.

"Guess I'll leave princess to get ready," I remarked with a mouthful of food, "be back later."

"You have a busy day ahead of you," Gaius said, "you'll have to get ready as well."

"Eh? Whaddya mean I look fine."

"You are in untidy clothes. Unkempt hair. Smudges on your face. Shall I go on?"

My hand patted at my hair.  I pulled at the knots before tucking it behind my ear. The tattered sleeve of my shirt rubbed on my face. I smiled as Gaius sighed deeply.  Perhaps my time among the bandits had worn down my concept of presentability.

"Someone will be along shortly to take care of you," he said.

"I don't have to wear a dress do I?"

"You do know this is a feast at the royal court, correct?" Merlin snarked through the door.

"You know that outfit makes you look like a royal prat, huh?"

"Hello, Gwen," Gaius said.

"Hello Gaius," a young woman replied, "____, if you'd come with me."

"Where are we going?"

"You are requested to-" she began.

"Why's everyone makin' such a big deal over this?  I just want to go home."

I couldn't understand why this was such a big deal for these people. While I was to be treated like royalty people were starving, even struggling to live. I threw the bread on the ground and stormed out of the room. The thought crossed my mind that my mother would have scolded me for being so wasteful with food. I hurried out of the castle, I wouldn't find a way home today. I just needed to clear my head. Merlin came out in his usual clothes a few moments later. He looked around seeing I was no longer there.

"Did I miss something?" he asked.

"She ran off. I guess I can get the guards to look for her," Gwen offered.

"I think I can find her, give me some time."

"You still have chores to do."

"I just need a few minutes.  Just wait here."

Merlin hurried out of the room, hoping to catch up to me. Of course, we both ran to the place we had shared a moment the night before. He looked around panic. I had sat on a cobbled roof above him.