The Innocent Lie And The Journey Home.

The caves weren't that far. They were only about half an hour away from my home town, by horse. So by foot it was at least an hour, maybe a little longer.  The excitement of what had happened propelled me forward.  My heart pounded in my chest.  I had to stop for a moment to catch my breath. My body leaned against a tree.  I didn't stop for long, I couldn't.  More than anything I was worried about Merlin. That dollophead was only looking out for me.  I started off on my journey once more. The moon lowered in the sky.  I could see the dawn creeping up on the horizon behind me. By the time I reached the caves I was exhausted. My body leaned against the cool rock of the interior, savoring the sensation.  I wiped the sweat from my brow as I walked deeper into the caves.  A soft light shone the deeper I walked inside.  Eventually I came across a pool.  It shone with a light that didn't seem of the normal world.  I leaned forward looking into the water. Ripples moved across the water without any provocation.  I took a step back as an ethereal figure appeared over the water. The figure's feet touched upon the water.

"There is nothing to be afraid of here," a soothing voice finally spoke.

"This is all kind of new to me," I replied.

"None of us foresaw what happened to your mother.  She only did what she could before her passing. You must have a lot of questions."

"I do. But who, or what, are you?"

"I am the guardian of your clan. I have protected, and guided, many young witches like yourself.  And it does seem as though you do need my help right now.  Your friends seem to be frozen."

"Oh! I nearly forgot about that."

"Most come here to train, but I see your destiny takes you somewhere else."

"What? Where to?"

"There isn't much left for you here. I'm sure you can put together where you belong.  Even if you try to hide it, I see that your heart does not want what it once wished for."

"Because my family has been murdered.  My home ransacked, practically destroyed. I don't know what I want right now.  But if I have magic I can't go back with the others.  Camelot is the worst place to be when I can't even control my magic," I sighed, realizing how much of what I wanted was taken from my grasp, "what is there left for me here?"

"You do not need to fear your gift. Your very spirit can give the simplest word magic. Your ancestors gave way to what magic is today from this power."

"Uh huh.  So just speak and magic happens? That seems a little inconvenient."

"There is more to it then just speaking a word. How did you feel when you made the people around you stop moving?" She smiled as if amused by my naivety.

"I know that dollophead meant well. But I wanted to come here of my own terms. I guess I'm not good being around people anymore.  I just wanted to be alone and do this by myself."

"Dollophead?"

"Oh, I meant to say Merlin.  He was just being-"

"How fortuitous."

"What? Wait. No. Do not tell me my destiny is tied to his."

"And his to Arthur. You three will have quite the adventures."

"Ah yes, the adventures of the two magic users and the prince who fights magic.  Sounds like a comedy to me."

"You sound just like your mother.  You did know your father was a knight of Camelot, didn't you? It was he who helped your mother escape the Great Purge. Things are changing. You're just as important as everyone else in making a change.  Keep a level head and you will find your path."