Poison and Our Future.

Gaius took the cup with him. Two guards carried me back to my room. Merlin followed behind, wondering how he didn't notice Morgana's actions. The memory felt blurry. Like it wasn't quite his own. He recalled her standing by the punch bowl. Almost everyone at the feast did. Kilgharrah told him she could alter the fabric of reality. Could she do that without any practice? Gaius was analyzing the poison to figure out how to counteract it. Merlin poured water into a bowl. With a slew of towels he settled into a chair next to my bed. The sensation of the cool towel reminding me of when I first arrived here. My eyes flickered open, but only a little. I couldn't see past the blurry vision. Short, ragged breaths were not quite enough.

"What were you thinking?" Merlin asked, not realizing I was half awake. "Did she poison you? Or was that meant for someone else?"

"Merlin," Gaius sighed, he motioned for Merlin to follow.

"What is it? Can you make some sort of antidote?"

"It's a mixture of very toxic herbs. Whoever this was for would not survive two days. That's if they were lucky."

"What can we do? Is there something we can get? Anything to counter it?"

"I will do what I can to find something. But there might be something you can do."

Gaius looked toward where Merlin kept his book of spells. Merlin turned to grab the book, but the door behind Gaius opened. A guard pushed the door open. Beyond it Uther was waiting, with a worried Arthur behind him.

"I'll speak with them, Merlin. You should go keep her company for the time being."

The door closed, leaving Merlin stand with a heavy heart. They had no longer than a few weeks together. Now she was being taken away from him. He heard them speaking outside of his room. Merlin wasted no time grabbing the book. By the time Arthur tried to check on Merlin, he settled into the chair in my room. Merlin slammed the book shut when he heard footsteps nearing the room. He looked to the door. But Gaius asked that Arthur give Merlin some space for the time being. There were two quiet taps on the door.

"Merlin," Arthur said with a solemn tone, "we'll get to the bottom of this. I promise."

Merlin stared at the door with tear filled eyes. He didn't say a word.

"You should take a couple days from your duties."

"Thanks," Merlin responded, so quiet that Arthur almost didn't hear him.

Merlin listened as the door to his room closed, then one more as everyone left the room. He looked over at me. Sweat dripped from my body. The damp cloth over my forehead was warm now. He replaced it with a fresh one. There had to be a way to cure this. If it wasn't a medicinal fix, there must have been a magical one. Kilgharrah was an option, but Merlin was not ready to make another promise. He would only give him vague answers anyway. Merlin read through the book. He stayed awake most of the night, but toward the early morning, he fell asleep.

While Merlin was with me, Arthur went to speak with Morgana. He didn't know about her recent awakened magic. It was hard for him to accept that she would do this. But like the others at the feast, he recalled seeing them near each other. She stood up and placed her hands around the bars. Her eyes pleading for help. Her kind voice deceiving Arthur and the others.

"Arthur, how long must I be in this cell?" she asked.

"Until we figure out what happened tonight. You wouldn't do this, would you?"

Morgana hesitated to answer. She wanted to tell him that I had magic. But Morgause would not be happy if she did. And if I was as powerful as they told Morgana, I would be a necessary asset. Rather Morgana heaved a sigh.