The Dragon's Call

While Merlin was granted some extra time to recover I did not have that luxury. Not only Merlin, but Gaius also warned me to be careful. With all that had been happening they worried about me leaving the city. Any changes in my daily routine had the potential to show my magic that I hid. Aryn was detained by the guards. From the talk on the street, and within the castle walls, Aryn was being interrogated by the knights. Arthur was in charge of the interrogation. The only thing Aryn said to Arthur was that he'd only speak to me, privately. Arthur kept this to himself. He didn't trust the druid enough to have me speak to him. Not after he attacked Merlin. The wheel of fate was already in motion. None of us knew what was in store. Unfortunately, my premonitions were to come true soon.

Gaius was utilizing Merlin for minor tasks. They were working on a remedy for a few sick people in the city. Luckily, it was nothing major. I was packing the last items I would need into a satchel. Merlin, and Gaius, alternated in giving me a concerned stare. It had not gone unnoticed. I set the satchel on the ground by the door.

"You two worried about anything in particular?" I sighed.

"I'm sure the butcher would understand if-" Merlin started.

"That druid is being held by the guards. It doesn't seem like there is any intention of them wanting to hurt me. I can't sit around anymore waiting for something to happen. Otherwise I'll end up on the execution block."

"Don't say that."

"I promise if anything happens, or something feels off, I will come right back."

"____," Gaius spoke, "be careful out there. Things have gotten a little weird since you came back from your home."

"I will. I'll see you both in a few hours."

I heaved the satchel over my shoulder. Merlin commented on my stubbornness when I left. He was worried. Who could blame him after everything that happened? Anyone could sense the tension in the town. While they couldn't remember the dragon that had been let loose that night; they did remember what happened to Merlin. They worried about a druid still being held by the guards.

"Why hasn't the King executed him? He's a druid. He nearly killed someone." A woman said to another.

"Damn magic users. Coming to this place and harming innocent folk." A farmer from the outskirts slammed his fist onto a marketplace stall. "They should all die."

He turned to give me a wave. We often passed each other. Sometimes he walked beside me as we brought goods back to Camelot. He was always pleasant toward me. My heart shattered hearing those words. If he knew what I could do, would he be pleading for my execution? I couldn't bear to think what anyone else in the town would say about me. The guards cautioned me as I left through the gates.

"Dangerous times, these days. You should be careful." They advised.

All this fuss over magic. Something I used to save the entire town. If only these people weren't so brainwashed by Uther to think magic would only harm them. My hand was clenching the bow tighter. The rush of anger washing through my body. Who were they to judge people on an inherited gift? It was how we decided to wield it that we should be judged upon. When I found myself deeper in the woods I let the anger out. My free hand raised toward a dead tree stump. I clenched my hand, letting the anger flow into the motion. The stump exploded into pieces, as the pieces scattered across the forest floor. Maybe staying here was wrong. I could have stayed in my village and rebuilt it. Wouldn't have taken too long with magic. I'd never see Merlin again though. My head shook to the side. Shaking the thought, and my growing feelings for Merlin, out of my mind. I walked through the forest, finding little game today. It was as if they sensed the confliction drowning my thoughts. I gathered what I could before heading back into town.