2

New York

Next morning, I didn't want to wake up. I stared at the window of my bedroom.

"Honey" Mom walked inside my room, surveying the state I was in, pausing in the doorframe "Time to go to school, Becca. I made some breakfast as you didn't eat anything last night"

I ignored her, humming slightly "Okay"

Mom walked closer, sitting on my bed, her hands in her lap as she frowned at me, "Bec. What's going on?"

I flickered my eyes at her briefly, turning back to the window, "Nothing, just go away"

Mom pursed her lips, "Fine. If you are gonna be like that" she stood, walking to the door, "Come out whenever you're ready. School awaits"

I rolled my eyes, turning to face her "Of course I will"

I pushed the covers away from me, revealing I had already changed into my uniform. I put on my shoes and grabbed my backpack.

Mom frowned silently, watching me ignore her, "Rebecca, talk to me sweetheart" She leaned against the doorframe, folding her arms "What's bothering you?"

I didn't answer, trying to walk past her. "I'm late for school"

"Rebecca!" Mom told me, stepping in front of me "Stop right there, young lady and explain to me your behavior"

"It's getting late" I told her, impatiently "Can we talk about this when I get back from school?"

Mom closed the door as I tried to walk past her.

"Mom" I groaned, frowning.

"No" Mom said sternly, "I'm serious, Rebecca Sinclair. Stop being so childish and tell me what's going on with you"

I breathed sharply, staring down at her shoes as I gripped the strap of my backpack tightly "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Mom asked softly.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, letting out a bittersweet chuckle, "That you were special?" Mom looked shocked, uncrossing her arms. I looked up, raising my eyebrows "And that my asshole dad's family would only want to meet me if I turned out to be special like you?"

Mom stayed quiet for a moment, speaking quietly "Where did you hear that?"

I snorted sarcastically "Our house isn't big enough to keep an entire conversation from me" I pointed out. Mom nodded slightly, looking away. "Your guests weren't so quiet either when you talked"

Mom sighed, closing her eyes as she stepped aside, letting me leave my room.

I opened the door, walking away, however I stopped at the light thud on the floor behind me, looking behind me to see mom had slid to the ground, her back resting against the wall with her head tilted back.

I pursed my lips, guiltily. Never had I seen my mom look so.... Defeated before. The sight made me slowly walk closer to her and take a seat on the floor in front of her.

Mom opened her eyes when she heard me sit in front of her. "You must think of me terrible" I frowned. Mom looked down at her hands, "That's the reason why I didn't want you to know. To avoid you feeling hurt and hate me for the sole reason you exist is because your father only wanted a child with special abilities like us"

I blinked in realization, "He's like you?"

Mom nodded slightly, not meeting my eyes. "That's what drew me in. I felt lonely about having these powers. I was struggling with them. I thought I was the only one. And then, someone came along, showed me he was different as well. I was young and terrified. He, ashamedly I tell you he was older and had a way of making someone feel special"