3

New York

I hadn't stopped crying.

My feet hurt as I hadn't stopped walking since I ran away from my house at least two hours ago. The blood of my forehead had dried already making me look like a mess. My hair was tangled and I could still feel a sticky substance from the back of my head. I was grateful the blood had stopped flowing but that didn't stop me from worrying. My arm hurt for how I crashed against the wall and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was either sprained or broken. The mascara I had put on that morning to go to school was surely smudged due to the never stopping river of tears

I had my head down as to not call the attention of anyone as I walked down the streets. My legs ached and I wanted to stop but I knew if I did, someone was bound to question how I got hurt and I didn't want to do that. I didn't want to remember how I left my mom, that for all I know she was lying dead in a pool of blood in our kitchen. My breathing was raged and heavy as I leaned against a lighting post. I pressed the side of my uninjured forehead against the cold metal, feeling it refreshing against my hot skin. It was then when my uninjured arm pressed against my uniform's blazer pocket that I froze.

It sounded like a wrinkled paper. I gritted my teeth letting go of my hurt arm, shoving my hand to my pocket, unfolding the paper, noticing numbers written on a sloppy handwriting. Mohinder Suresh read the paper and immediately remembered my mom giving me this number.

I perked up, straightening up and looking for a payphone. I swallowed painfully, limping toward the nearest one and slipping inside. I took a deep breath grabbing the phone and starting to dial the numbers written on the paper. Without thinking I blurted down at the dispatcher that I would pay with a credit card later, not caring that I was lying. I needed help.

I blinked back furiously my tears, not wanting to cry more but every ring he didn't answer was tasting my patience. My knuckles turned white for how hard I was gripping the phone.

Finally, after what felt ages, the call was answered by a man "Hello?"

"Dr. Suresh!" I exclaimed loudly in relief recognizing his accented voice. "Thank God you answered"

There was a pause in the other line "Who is this?"

"Right, you don't know me, but you do know my mom—" I forced down a chocked sob, thinking on how she looked before she told me to leave "Marie Sinclair"

Mohinder seemed to hear the strain on my voice, "Rebecca?"

"Yes! Oh, how am I glad she gave you my name" I chuckled hysterically "I need your help"

"What is it? Ms. Sinclar? Where's your mother?"  Mohinder asked in worry. I couldn't help myself, starting to cry when he made me remember of her "Are you alright? What happened?! Rebecca?"

"He was there!" I cried out. "The one killing people! Sylar was here!" Mohinder sucked in a breath "He tried to kill me and he killed my mom. He knows who I am. He wants to kill me!"

Mohinder sighed overwhelmed, "Rebecca. Sweetheart. Where are you right now?" I looked around, taking deep breaths and exclaiming the street names over the receiver once I was calm enough to think them over "Okay. Okay, you're not that far away from me. Stay there and I'll pick you up, alright?"

I nodded even though he couldn't see me and I sighed shakily, hanging up the phone. My lip trembled as a new wave of tears hit me.

~8~

I saw him before he found me. I walked out of the payphone cabin and limped toward Suresh, gripping his trench coat making him turn toward me. His breath was caught in his throat as he surveyed my messed up and bloody appearance.

"Rebecca Sinclair?" Mohinder asked concerned. I nodded shakily. "Oh, my God. Come here" He striped down of his coat and wrapped it around my shaky form. He paused looking down at me "It's alright now" he passed a hand around my shoulders, pulling me toward him as he walked us to his apartment.

~8~

"Here you go"

I gratefully accepted the mug of tea Mohinder prepared as he sat down in front of me.

"Thank you" I murmured quietly staring down at the tea.

Mohinder sighed softly, "I'm sorry" He apologized. "I didn't know this could happen" 

I looked up confused, shaking my head "No, it's not your fault. How could you know this... Sylar person would come after us?"

"He kills people with special abilities Rebecca" Mohinder informed me sadly. "I'm afraid he somehow filtered to my files. Or bugged my phone finding out about people with special abilities. I'm so sorry"

I tried so hard to not blame him. I knew he hadn't given Sylar my mother's information on purpose but some part did and I think he knew for the way he looked away from me with shame.

"He wasn't going to kill me" I spoke suddenly, whispering in slight fear "Or if he did he wasn't going to slice my head open. Only kill me and leave but he changed his mind after I tried to save my mom" 

Mohinder looked back at me, interested "Oh? What Rebecca? What happened?"

I didn't lift my gaze from the tea, swallowing before replying "I thought it was my mom or him. I mean, nothing weird had even happened to me like ever so at first, I thought it was my mom but she also seemed shocked by it. It wasn't until I was running away from him for good that I realized it was me" 

Mohinder didn't interrupt, looking at me intently.

I looked up, letting more tears fall. "The wind picked up. It unnaturally entered my home and blew  through everything, strong enough to throw Sylar against a wall"

"Aerokinesis" Mohinder murmured in realization. He looked at my fearful wide eyed stance and shook his head "Rebecca... Are you sure it's the first time it happens something like this?"

I bobbed my head up and down furiously "Yes. I mean, before I went to find my mom there was a breeze coming from somewhere around the house and it was like I could hear my mom talking from the kitchen...How is that possible?"

Mohinder stared at the table in thought, humming "Particles of noise travel through the air. It makes sense if you can manipulate it"

I wore a sarcastic smile, "Oh, perfect. I'm such a freak now... "

"Don't say that" A voice sounded from behind me. I turned around to face Zane walking with a bunch of papers. "You're not a freak, Miss Sinclair"

I licked my lips, looking at him, blinking away the rest of my tears. 

Wait a minute... How does he know my name? I didn't say it to him.

"This is Zane Taylor if you didn't know already, Rebecca" Mohinder glanced between the two of us, forcing a smile "He's like you..."