11

New York

"I still don't know what I'm still doing here"

Claire chuckled softly while brushing her hair, giving me an amused smile. Since meeting the day prior, we had gotten along pretty well. We had taken aside the whole aunt/niece thing and since then, everything was going smooth

She knew things about me and I knew things about her. Like how she couldn't die. Freaky amazing that!

"Because my grandmother slash your step-mother has Hawkeyes and would know if you go away" Claire laughed bitterly. She had the same struggle as me.

Neither of us wanted to leave New York. Me because I didn't know Angela very well to be certain she was being genuine and wasn't going to dump my body on an unknown place for being her husband's bastard child and Claire because she wanted to know her father, Nathan.

"Don't remind me" I groaned, throwing my weight backwards on the bed. "If I would have known this was the reason Angela wanted to talk to me about, I would have left with Dr. Suresh and never stepped inside this house"

"That was the man who brought Peter, right?" Claire asked curiously, sitting next to me. I nodded, rolling around the bed and propping my head on my hand, "Why were you with him in the first place?"

"Cause he was the only one I could go to" I replied "If I were to go to the police saying a man killed my mother with his mind they would have think me crazy and pinned the murder on me"

Claire grimaced sympathetically, "Right, Sylar" she sighed licking her lips. "What about your mom? Any news about her?"

I shook my head. "No idea but I'm sure Mrs Jones, our neighbor is the one who will find her. If she hasn't already"

Claire squeezed my hand.

I smiled briefly in thanks.

~8~

"I forgot Nathan had family" I whispered at Claire with a grimace that same day. We were walking downstairs to meet Angela.

A woman in a wheelchair was wheeling inside after Nathan who was carrying two little boys on his arms. They looked happy.

Claire hummed slightly, not moving from the top of the stairs. 

I looked down awkwardly, peering up at Peter who looked up at us from his sketchbook.

I waved slightly.

Peter chuckled, waving back.

Claire looked back at me forcing a smile

I smiled sympathetically.

~8~

Angela walked inside a room grabbing a coat off a hangar. "Paris is cold this time of the year so here's a nice warm coat. Brown wool"

I made a face at the fabric as Claire and I followed her to the bed.

Angela stopped in front of an open suitcase starting to fold the coat. "It's not flashy, but it's fashionable"

I raised an eyebrow, sarcastically "And gloves too, I'm sure"

Angela shot me a bored look. 

Claire stifled a laugh behind her hand.

A light knock on the door made me look up at Peter standing outside in the hallway.

"I'll let you two say goodbye" Angela said, placing down the coat, walking around Claire, placing a hand on my shoulder, guiding me outside when Peter shot up a hand in front of us making us stop.

We stopped walking looking at Peter quizzically.

Peter looked at his mother, glancing at me pointedly.

Angela didn't say anything else, dropping her hand from my shoulders, walking away from the room.

Peter looked at me with a reassuring smile.

I looked down, taking a step backwards.

"You can't leave" Peter looked at Claire who began packing. I took the hint, starting to walk forward to pack too but Peter grabbed my wrist before I could do so "Neither of you can"

"I have to" Claire refused to look at him in the eyes. "At least until the election's over."

I stayed quiet, chewing on my bottom lip.

"I found you in Odessa. We saved each other" Peter said, not dropping my hand. I eyed them awkwardly. "You ended up being my niece. This isn't just random, okay? This is destiny"

"What about me? I have no choice" I pointed out. "Tecnhically your mother is now my legal guardian. And I never asked for more family" I ignored Peter's slight hurt expression "And you can't call that destiny. Claire's father sacrificed himself so she could have a life. Not some destiny crap I'm not sure what you mean with that"

They exchanged a knowing look.

Peter smiled slightly, sarcastic "Wow. Niece and Aunt teaming up together against your uncle and brother; Who would have known?"

Claire and I exchanged a wary look, "Don't call us that" we told him in synchrony.

"It's weird" I added with a fake shudder. 

Claire nodded in agreement, letting out a soft sigh "You can't save me, Peter. Not this time"

"And Nathan can?" Peter asked skeptically

I looked at him slightly wide eyed, "Wow. You don't trust your brother too much, do you?"

Claire looked at me in slight amusement before shaking her head "Nathan can keep me safe" she corrected

"Safe?!" Peter exclaimed increduluosly "You can't get hurt!" He stopped talking, taking a deep breath to calm down.

I raised my free hand "I can. My head's proof of that. I have to go"

Peter shook his head "No. You're my sister. I can't easily let you go now that I know you exist. Maybe that's destiny too" he squeezed my hand, comfortingly. I looked down as he continued talking to Claire who had returned back to her packing while he was talking to me. "Claire...You're here to save the world"

Claire widened her eyes, starting to shake her head, scoffing softly "How?!" She asked desperately, "I'm sorry. I can't go around chasing some fantasy"

Peter dropped my hand, turning around and partially closing the door. He returned back, standing right next to me. "It's not some fantasy, okay?" He said in a hush, staring at Claire seriously. "I explode. I see it" We stared at him wide eyed. Me in confusion and Claire in alarm. What the hell... ? "I wipe out this whole city. You, Nathan, everyone. Recently I saw Becca in it too"

Well, that's comforting.

I swallowed thickly. "You explode?" I asked in a small voice, feeling skeptical. "And we die?"

How many other abilities does Peter have?

Peter looked at me, seeing my scared expression before grimacing apologetically and nodding slowly, not answering my second question "Yeah. Like a nuclear bomb"

"Nuclear?" Claire whispered in realization "Like Ted"

"Ted?" Peter and I questioned the girl.

"Who the hell is Ted?" Peter asked.

I looked between them confused.

In what the hell did I get myself into?