Chapter 8: Time Flies: Part I

Lying on her side Hayley felt happy as she snuggled closer to the warm body next to hers. When was the last time she had slept next to someone? Probably when Hope was a baby. But this was very different. This was an adult body that curved around hers with a few extra inches to spare with his head resting on her shoulder. Hayley tried to not giggle. She was not really the type to turn into a giggly idiot when she felt the slightest amount of joy.

"Good morning," Elijah whispered into her ear and Hayley felt her lips curl up as a damn giggle erupted causing the male in her bed to smile before kissing her lightly on the lips.

Rolling over to face Elijah, Hayley ran a hand through his hair. He caught her hand and kissed the inside of her palm before giving her a look that made her toes curl as another giggle escaped her. "Good morning," Hayley whispered back while curling her free hand behind his neck and pulling his lips to hers. Elijah placed his free hand on her lower back and pulled her atop him. Kissing her till all rational thoughts had left her mind, Hayley barely registered the sound of the door knob twisting and the bed shifting as more weight was applied.

Removing her lips from Elijah's and turning her head to the side, Hayley found herself face to face with her daughter who was smiling at them. "Good morning, Mommy. Mornin' Elijah," Hope said with giggle. At that moment Hayley was very glad that she was wearing her pyjamas.

Forty-eight hours earlier:

Hayley was terribly nervous. It had been some time since she had had to interview for a job. That was one of the perks of running your own business. You didn't have to worry about what a possible employer would think of you. When a wary looking woman came around a counter and her eyes landed on a nervous Hayley she smiled. "Hi. I'm Jane Anne Deveraux. You must be Hayley Marshall. My daughter's friend, Davina, told me that you were looking for work." Jane Anne offered her hand before consulting the application, her eyebrows rose. "So, you used to run your own company? What happened, if you don't mind my asking?"

"We weren't earning as much as I had hoped that we would and when black turns to red and the bill collectors are calling more than custumers then you know it's time to throw in the towel," Hayley explained with a shrug.

Nodding, Jane Anne continued to read the application like it was the first time that she had read it. Hayley had forgotten how nervous that you could become when waiting for a potential employer to decide whether to hire you or not. She knew from experience that most employers make up their mind about whether they're going to hire you within the first five minutes. Not always, but most of the time this was the case. Looking Hayley in the eye, Jane Anne leaned against the table. "Do you think you'll feel comfortable as someone's employee after being in the role as your own boss?"

Hayley sucked in a deep breath. She had not taken the time to even process the idea. "I have a child. I don't really have choice," she replied slowly and then added a smile as Jane Anne's expression became sympathetic.

"I completely understand. When Monique was a baby I had to work two jobs and my sister, Sophie was living with us at the time so the rent was not quite as bad but it was still tight," Jane Anne explained as she closed the folder that Hayley's application was in. "So, I can start you at ten dollars an hour but after six months I look at your progress and we'll talk about giving you a raise. Given your background I could imagine you being promoted to management within a year. That would mean that you'll be making twice as much with the possibility of a bonus each year depending on our earnings for the year. How does that sound?"

Smiling, Hayley replied, "Sounds great." Inwardly she had to prevent herself from wincing at the amount she would be earning per hour given the fact that that was not too much over minimum wage. On the other hand a job was a job.