Chapter 20: Always and Forever

All Hayley wanted was her little girl, back in her arms, safe and sound. Elijah's expression did not show his concern but his white-knuckled grip on the steering wheel told another tale. Hayley knew that Elijah was trying to be strong for her. Once they found Hope, she would tell him how much everything he did for them meant to her.

Kol's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Where are we going, brother?" he inquired.

"We are going back to Hayley's apartment. Perhaps there is something that was overlooked before." Elijah's dark eyes remained on the moonlit street in front of them.

"Yes, because pursuing the same angle—time and time again—is not a colossal waste of our time." Kol huffed and fell back in his seat. Hayley and Elijah chose to ignore Kol's protests.

Whatever reservations Hayley had—concerning Elijah's plan—she set them aside. She trusted Elijah. He would help her find Hope, even if he had to tear apart the town of New Orleans to do it.

Elijah pulled the car over, a block from Hayley's old apartment. He got out first, scanning the quiet, and seemingly unoccupied street. Opening the passenger side door, Hayley got out and moved around the car to stand at Elijah's side. Hayley's entire body felt tense, prone for a fight. Kol got out to join them.

As a group, they walked to Hayley's. Her old building looked even creepier at night. How had she been raising Hope in this place? she wondered. The building wasn't that tall but its shadow fell over the three of them. Hayley felt her stomach twist.

"We're coming, baby," Hayley promised her daughter aloud.

Feeling a hand on her shoulder, Hayley turned to find Elijah looking at her. "We will." His words were solid, something for Hayley to hold onto and to not sink into a tide of despair.

"Are you going in?" Kol demanded. His impatience was clear as his body leaned toward the building, his fists balled at his sides.

"Yeah. Let's go." Hayley strode to the front door and through it. She took the stairs, two at a time. The feeling of her feet slapping the old, stained carpet of the stairs made her feel like she was doing something, anything.

Hayley unlocked the door to the apartment. She stepped aside so that Elijah and Kol could follow her in. The sheer emptiness of the living room made her heart sink. "I need a glass of water," she muttered. Her feet led her to the kitchen and to her old, familiar sink. Pulling out a glass, she placed it under the tap and flicked the cold knob. The water never got cold enough. It was lukewarm but her throat was about to close up. Panic was setting in.

"Looks like nothing's changed," Kol remarked, leaning against the doorframe.

Hayley took another sip of the water before setting the glass aside. "You're not helping, Kol," she snapped, crossing her arms over her chest.

Kol looked at her, his eyes narrowing and his lips curling backwards. She knew he had a snide remark in mind when Elijah held up a hand. "Enough. Kol, go into Hayley's room and see if you can find anything. I will check Hope's room. Hayley, please, take a seat and try to stay calm."

Choking on a bitter laugh, Hayley walked over to her couch and sat down. She felt something pushing into her back. Turning around, Hayley picked up a couch cushion and found a book. She'd been looking for it for months because Hope wanted to hear the story again. How had it been lodged into the couch? Tears filled her eyes and Hayley willed herself to calm down.

"Nothing," Kol pronounced, coming back into the living room. He glanced at Hayley. "You alright?" he inquired, his voice softening. Now Hayley knew she must look like a wreck if Kol could see her unraveling.