Prologue

I grasped the earth beneath me, scraping the cool mud with my fingernails. The sudden realization that my senses were vivid once again snapped my eyes open. It was dark, but not the dark I was used to. And so cold. That beautiful feeling of cold.

I scrambled to my feet, finding myself to be so weak that I stumbled and continuously fell down. Just getting up was a battle. Trying to ignore my dizziness, I forced my eyes to adjust to my surroundings. Though, it was hard to through the heavy rain that shrouded everything in a dark grey veil.

"Hello?" I called as loudly as my choked voice would manage, the feeling of loneliness suddenly becoming overwhelming. There was nothing living around me, nothing but the grass beneath my feet. "Hello!?" I called again, louder. I was answered only by a terrifying flash of light and a roar from the sky.

I began panicking, gasping for breath. I started running, searching to find anyone, anything. Lightning crackled above again, a pounding roar following it. I kept running, using the pulsing light from the sky to guide me along my path.

A searing pain overcame me. The little light that my eyes could see went away all at once. I felt my jaw bone crack on a hard surface as I landed. The cold ground became my cradle once again as the pain pulled me back into blackness.

************