Chapter 5.1

I leaned up against a tree, enjoying its shade as I watched a duel come to a close. The duelist I was pulling for, Yugi Motto, had won once again. His friends cheered as he stepped down from the arena platform. I had half a mind to do the same, but my rules were clear. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone, and I really didn't want to risk getting hit with miniature lightning.

Still, that hadn't kept me from dancing on the edges of my obligations and watching the duels during my breaks. My favorite ones to observe, of course, were the ones that involved Motto—the very player who had defeated Seto. There was no questioning how he had aspired to be the only one in history to overcome such a powerful duelist with three Blue-Eyes. He seemed to have a way with his cards, a deep connection to them that even I didn't have, making him the most skilled at the game that I had ever seen.

The truth was, I felt a twinge of betrayal for wanting to pull for Motto, knowing he was the one that had brought Seto into his downfall, but the fact that we had a common enemy trumped my guilt. I occasionally picked up on his private conversations about his intention to defeat Pegasus himself. He spoke about it often. I couldn't help but wonder why he was so bent on beating him. Whatever it was, I wouldn't doubt it was related to something he had done to Motto outside this tournament. And now I wanted to see him defeated more than ever.

Later in the afternoon of that day, my chores lead me back to the castle to sweep off the seemingly endless rows of steps. Just as I arrived, I spotted a figure making his way up the inclined path, someone who I thought I would never see again.