2/ The Letter*

I am going to strangle all these gin-soaked men.

Rollen's fingers clenched around the mug of ale as hearty laughs and loud shouts rose with each passing second. Sitting at the counter, he twisted his head slightly to take in the view. Men rocked back and forth, eyes bright with merriment and intoxication. He glanced at his own men, who were all smiles; he couldn't blame them, though. They had just taken their oaths, admitting them into the Norlain army force as soldiers. His own memory of his admission night tugged at his mind but he shoved it aside. He had no wish to revisit it tonight.

A man dragged the stool next to Rollen back then sat on it. "Fine night, ain't it Rollen?"

Rollen spared Tyford a glance before he tightened his jaw. 

"Ah yes," he continued, "The satisfying sensation of mortal youth and intoxicating ale can warm any man's heart." At Rollen's continued silence, the soldier peered into Rollen's mug. "Spirits above! You haven't even reached halfway. Is this your first round?"

"What if it is?"

He tsked. "See, now I know there's a problem with you. You are almost always ready to down a few mugs. What's got you down, comrade?"

When he didn't respond, Tyford shook his head, sighing. "Would you like me to hold your hand till your ready to spill your heart's desire like a squeamish maiden on her moon-time? Cause that is well beyond my limits."

Rollen didn't dignify that statement with a response. He figured if he spoke less, Tyford might understand that he wanted to be alone. Unfortunately, his long-time friend didn't quite digest the hint (or if he did, he was ignoring it). "Oh well," he said in feigned resignation, "If it will make you talk, then I'll start. So, there's this woman who has been on my mind for quite -".

Rollen growled. Tyford scrutinized him, all playfulness draining away. "Really, what's wrong with you?" he murmured in a low voice. Rollen faced him, meeting Tyford's sharp blue eyes. He stared the man who had stuck by him through many trials, the man he trusted with his life; the man he could call a brother. He was about to confess what was plaguing his thoughts, whirling around in his mind like a maelstrom of taunting demons, when the words died in his throat. Instead, he said, "Enjoy your night."

With that, he left the gaping man and strode to his room. Although all soldiers and officers had a camp a mile or so from here, he had rented a room in the tavern as soon as they had arrived. He wished for solitude for at least one night to gather his thoughts. As one of the conducting officers, he had the authority to do so, especially since it was now over and done with. For now, all he needed was to withdraw from all distractions.

Before Rollen touched the door handle, he noticed the door was slightly ajar. His instincts kicked in at the thought of an intruder inside. Swiftly, he drew his sword smoothly from its scabbard and gripped it tight. He clenched his jaw and entered the room, raising his blade defensively.

The sword almost slipped from his grasp.

A woman lay tangled in the bedsheets, bare of any clothing. She was lying on her stomach, legs bent to rise and fall rhythmically. She looked up at him upon entry, shining him an alluring smile. "What are you doing here?" Rollen sighed.

"Awaiting your arrival, of course." Slowly, she sat up, sheets falling off to give him a view of her full breasts. She slipped off the bed and made her way to him, hips swaying seductively. He held back an eye roll. "Please leave." He sheathed his sword. "I don't plan on sleeping with you."

"Why not?" she purred. She leaned against him, breasts brushing his chest. She tiptoed. "I think you'll enjoy yourself," she whispered in his ear.

"That gives you an idea of your thinking capacity."

She pulled back to reveal a shocked expression. 

"Listen," he said, "In the mood I'm in, you had better leave because when I look at you all I see is a whore almost as worn out as my boots and mounted more times than my horse." She gasped and lifted her hand to slap him but he caught it without blinking. His voice went dangerously low. "Try that again and I will break your wrist. Now get out before my patience thins further."

With an irritated huff, she grabbed her clothes from a chair and strutted out the room with the air of an indignant child. Rollen shut the wooden door and locked it with a click. 

After removing the scabbard from his hip to the table, he finally took a moment to breathe. Slowly, he took out the letter tucked in his coat. Its seal was already broken from when he initially received the letter at the campsite this morning. He opened it and stared at the words already engraved in his mind.

Captain Rollen,

Your presence is required by His Royal Highness at the Shadow Keep in a week's time. Old matters have resurfaced upon arrival of incriminating facts that require your verification. However, you are needed at Allyn's Tower in two days first. All will be discussed fully after your advent.

May you receive the gods' blessings.

General Zhen.

The words blurred briefly before he realized his hands were shaking. Putting the paper on the desk before he crumpled it, he rubbed his forehead. He exhaled shakily, heart thudding against his ribs in panic. The words were brief and blunt enough without revealing all its contents. But they were enough to set his nerves buzzing on edge.

Suddenly he felt as though the air was growing hotter, humidifying the room. His lungs tried to take in more oxygen but it felt thick and heavy, like he was inhaling water. He gasped for breath and realized he was on the verge of hyperventilating.

Hurriedly, Rollen pushed open the balcony doors and leaned against the cool metal railing. The wind blew at his face and whipped his hair back in waves. Cool air finally filled his lungs and they relaxed. Eventually, he was breathing with ease, the breeze leaving goosebumps on his skin. Gazing ahead, he let out a weary sigh. The anger he bore only masked the undercurrent of fear.

He had thought once the deed was set and done, he would continue life as per usual. Of course, there would be questions asked and answers sought, but eventually, they would die down. And they had.

Until he received the letter.

His stomach twisted into a knot of panic. He swallowed. There was no reason for them to suspect him; he had covered his tracks well. He was certain of that. Nevertheless, a shadow of doubt still lingered in his mind. He looked down to see his hands shaking. His heart raced as sweat beaded on his tanned skin. He squeezed his eyes shut as if holding back his uncertainties.

No! He refused to let his qualms taunt him. After everything he had endured, after everything he had accomplished, he would not be overwhelmed by such thoughts. He was stronger than this. His body shook with the new resolve. It didn't matter what they had against him; he would not go down without a fight. 

Filling his lungs with air, he exhaled, visualizing his doubts drifting away with his breath. A sense of calm washed over him. His mind cleared and only one thought hovered in existence. The moon peeked through the clouds and shone a beam of light on the terrace, as if in approval. He straightened his back and gazed at the white rolling mountains before him.

Let them try their hand against him. He would enjoy seeing them fall.

Hey guys!! Thanks for reading this chapter and I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, please don't forget to vote :) Comments are always appreciated. 

Questions: What do you think of Rollen? What do you think he did that he doesn't want anyone to know about?