19/ Ancient Power

"We need to leave."

Avira moved away from the window sill, rushing over to her knapsack. She stuffed her clothes and meager belongings into it before drawing it close. 

She stood up, her pack slung over her shoulder. Rollen and Colsen exchanged confused glances. "Avira," Colsen began, just as Rollen strode over to look out the window. "What's going on?"

Rollen swore; Avira turned to him and saw his bewildered expression. Her grip on the strap tightened. "We need to leave," she insisted. "Now."

Rollen spun at the balls of his feet, his stare full of accusation. "Why are the Shivane here?" he demanded.

She bit the inside of her cheek and focused on Colsen. "Listen to me. I know it's hard but you have to trust me now. We need to go."

"Why are they here?"

She worried at her lower lip. "Chances are they are here for me."

Colsen's eyebrows shot up. "Why in the world would they be here for you?"

Her heart was pounding heavily in her chest, making it hard to breathe. Avira glanced out the window. Her fingers twitched. Time was running out. "Colsen." She was on the verge of panic. "Time is a comfort I currently do not have. I will tell you all I can but—"

"The Shivane work for the King," Rollen cut her off. His gaze was hard, devoid of the soft care he had displayed earlier. "For them to come all this way looking for you means you've done something extremely treacherous against the Kingdom."

She sighed, exasperated. "You don't understand! I am not the one in the wrong. If you would just trust—"

"They are here," Colsen spoke up.

Avira tensed. "How many?"

His lips thinned as he extended his telepathic senses. "Two coming for us, the rest at the door of the tavern. Their wolves are on the street."

Avira's heart was plunged into trepidation and despair, her mind tormented by the thought of capture. She saw herself back in the prison with the King towering over her. She saw his cold beautiful face as he signaled for the High Maester, who was handling the cursed dagger.

No. She couldn't let herself get back there. She couldn't be taken there. Her eyes squeezed shut. Just when she had gotten a lick of freedom, the Spirits were slamming a door in her face, sealing off her future. Well, she wouldn't let the doors lock her in.

Not when she had the power to break it down.

Her eyes opened, her thoughts finally tamed. Now she could hear the approaching footsteps. But she stood, waiting. She pictured the Shivane in her mind's eye. They were just by the door. When the doorknob fiddled ever so slightly, Avira tapped into the cold dark power from her sapphire pendant and sent the door hurtling into the corridor, crushing onto the two women. They groaned at the impact against the sturdy wall. They stirred slightly from underneath the mass of broken wood but Avira paid them no head. Instead, she yelled one word. "Run!"

With that, she tore down the wall of her room into a gaping exit. She didn't hesitate. She ran through the hole into the night. Slowing her drop, she landed with a thud and quickly assessed her surroundings. Three large wolves turned to snarl at her. Dribble oozed from their toothy grimaces. One of them barked at her, a warning to stay motionless. Like Efrir I will!

Her hand thrust out, a quick motion that sent her power unto them. Instantly the animals whined and struggled against an invisible force before they all collapsed, unconscious for a limited time. Despite their desire for her flesh, she didn't want any more blood on her hands, no matter the species.