Interlude I: The Convent

The High Priestess of the Vandal Convent glided elegantly down the cool corridor, shoes tapping softly against the stone floor. Hands gripped the front of her gown before her to avoid tripping over it, leaving the short train to be dragged silently behind her. All Sisters of the Convent donned such attire; long plain dresses accessorized by dull grey shoes, but while the other priestesses wore bright red the Head Priestess had deep purple garb as befit her position. Unlike other Sisters whose faces were veiled but for their eyes, her own was exposed though her head was wrapped with the same light material.

All in the Convent was simple; from the massive structure itself to the people housed in it to the objects held within. Everything was kept chaste; this was to bar every window vanity or greed might use to creep up on the Sisters. The desires of worldly possessions went against the beliefs and morals held by the Convent. To truly follow the light of the Celestial Spirits, one must relinquish all earthly ties to the world and embrace the holy ways laid before them.

High Priestess Elenor gladly lived under the shadow of this law. She was ready to give up all that was necessary if it meant leading a life under the eyes of the Seraphim, the Celestial Spirits. After all, they had given her solace in her darkest times, sheltered her with hope when she first stumbled onto the steps of the Convent. 

Many years before, her village had been raided and her family slaughtered. She had narrowly evaded death's grasp and by the time she had put much distance between herself and her home, plumes of smoke had risen to the darkening skies. She had walked on for days, her life held by a tenuous string, ready to snap. Just as she felt her strength give way, she saw Vandal's Convent. She had remembered that it was one of the few places in the Aserian territory that offered refuge for those who needed it. With her remaining strength she had hauled herself up the steps before collapsing. She had later awoken to a kind face. "Rest, dear child," the woman had crooned, brushing back her dark brown hair. "The Seraphim have delivered you to us, and you are under their protection. No harm will come unto you." 

From that day, she had devoted her life to serving the Seraphim. She had worked to learn the holy ways of the Celestial Spirits and fought to mirror their virtues. After many years in the Convent, she was named the High Priestess of Vandal's Convent, and for that she was eternally grateful. As the head of the Sisters of the Convent, she was either addressed by her official title or Mother Superior. Many duties were bestowed unto her care but her main personal mission was to lead people out of darkness and into the light. That alone was enough to satisfy her soul.

Therefore, just as she had been saved by the former High Priestess in her darkest hour, she planned to do the same for another girl. She had been found in a reed-woven basket upon the steps of the building as a babe. The parallels between the Mother Superior and the child had been too overwhelming to dismiss. The Seraphim are testing me, she had thought as she looked at the bundled little girl. They want me to prove myself to them. And so I shall.

She had carefully brought up the girl from a young age, nurturing her so that she could follow in her footsteps and devote her life to the Seraphim, as she had. Her wishes, however, did not come as smoothly as she would have hoped. Nevertheless, though the girl troubled her, she wouldn't give up. Not that easily.

Finally she stopped at a wooden door. Twisting the handle, she moved into the room before clicking it shut. With practiced grace, she spun around to gaze upon the girl.

She was kneeling on the floor, bending over a large piece of paper. Her dark hair tumbled over her shoulder in wave-like masses. In her left hand was a piece of coal of which she scribbled rapidly onto her canvas. Rough lines trailed after her quick movements, sprouting a black image on the page. The High Priestess swallowed.