Falling for the Boy Next Door

Chapter 1

Baylee's P.O.V

I stood on the front porch, and watched as the last moving truck drove away. My last hope at going back to California where I belonged was gone.

"Cheer up, Lee! Moving here was the best thing for us, you'll fit in in no time." My dad tried to reassure me. I wasn't so sure.

"Cheer up? How can I cheer up when we left my entire life back in California? My friends, my team, my family, everything!" I frowned at the thought of leaving behind my dance team. I'd been dancing since I was five, and had been lead dancer of Rhythm and Moves dance company for three years. Who knew if there was a dance company here, and even if there was, I'd be starting from the bottom all over again.

"Just try, sweetie, I'm sure you'll find some new friends. Maybe even a dance company!" My mother said, always being optimistic.

I gave her a slight nod, and walked into the house. It was bigger than our old house, complete with a pool and rope swing that led into a river behind the house. The neighbors seemed friendly enough, although I hadn't seen anyone my age yet. Exhausted from moving in, I went upstairs to my room and collapsed on my bed, falling asleep in minutes.

Some hours later, I woke up from a dreamless nap. Loud music was thumping from somewhere nearby, actually shaking my open window. I turned my head towards the clock, which read 11:18 PM. Who would be blaring music at this hour? I got up and fixed my hair, and ran downstairs, determined to find out. A note from my parents was stuck to the refrigerator door. It read, "Baylee, went out for drinks with some of our new neighbors, didn't want to wake you. Pizza in the fridge, don't wait up. Love and hugs, Mom and Dad" The music was getting on my nerves, so I went out to the backyard to find the source of the thumping.

My next door neighbor's house was completely lit, doors to the back open, and people wandering around everywhere. Some jerk was throwing a party! I was in no mood to be kept up all night, after all, I still hadn't adjusted to the time difference here. Back home, it'd be only eight o'clock, and I'd be on my way out for a Saturday night filled with fun with my best friends. But not tonight. I was stuck here, and not about to let the neighbors ruin my peace and quiet.

"Damn noisy neighbors." I grumbled to myself as I got my gladiator sandals on, and prepared to go over and shut the party goers up. As i walked across the front lawn, I immediately wished I'd thrown on a hoodie over my purple tank top and grey shorts. Early June nights here got chilly! I finally reached the door, and rang the bell once, twice, three times before someone answered. I was just about to let him have it when I looked at him and was at a loss for words. He was the most gorgeous guy I'd ever seen! His skin was lightly tanned, and he had messy jet black hair that fell over his warm brown eyes perfectly. His deep red v-neck tee shirt and ripped jeans showed how muscular he was, and I had to rip my eyes away to be able to concentrate.

"Can I help you?" He asked, in a velvety voice with a slight Australian accent.

"Is this your party?" I asked him, while I still had the sense to do so.

"Yeah, why? You wanna join us?"

"Do I want t-- no I do not want to join you! I want you to turn the blasted music off, and get those damn people off my lawn!" I yelled, pointing at a guy throwing up in my bushes.

"Hey, not my problem, you kick his ass off you're lawn. Party goes all night, WITH loud music." He said, laughing. What a jerk! How could he be standing there saying that? I was just about to let him have it when a pretty blonde came up and draped herself over his shoulder. For some reason, he looked annoyed that she showed up.

"Kane, baby? Come back to the party... who is this?" The blonde asked, referring to me. For some reason, I wanted to slap the girl for calling him, well Kane I guess, baby. He turned to her and said, "I'll be back in a minute babe, go back to the party. And this is..." and when he turned back, I was halfway to my house. I wasn't going to wait around while he flirted with this chick.

"HEY! WHAT'S YOUR NAME!?" Kane called after me, but I gave him no response, instead I just kept walking back to my house.

Once I got inside and locked the door, I ran to the window and saw him still standing there, looking towards my house, with a confused expression. He stood there looking for a few minutes before finally closing the door, disappearing back into the party. I exhaled a breath I didn't know I was holding in, and ran up to my room, changed into my pajamas, and went to bed. That night was the first that I dreamed about Kane, but it wouldn't be the last.

Kane's P.O.V

Clarissa had my hand, and was leading me up the stairs to my room. I knew what she wanted, I just didn't want to give it to her. Lately she'd just become to damn clingy and demanding. She pushed me on the bed, and said a slurred "kiss me baby" before falling on top of me. She'd had too much to drink, and smelled like it too. When I heard the doorbell ringing downstairs it was like a godsend, allowing me to escape from Clarissa, even if she was my girlfriend.

"Babe, that's the door, I gotta get it!" I told her, and pried myself free from her grip.

"Promise me you'll come back baby? Promise it." She said, and I just nodded and walked out the door.

I got downstairs, and grabbed a drink. Whoever was at the door really wanted something because they kept ringing and ringing the bell. When I opened the door, I nearly dropped my drink in shock. In the doorway stood the prettiest girl I'd ever seen. She had a rich tan, one you could only get from endless days lying on the beach, auburn hair that tumbled down her back and over her shoulder in soft curls, vibrant green eyes, and a body that could only belong to a dancer. This girl was gorgeous, definitely not from around here.

"Can I help you?" I asked her, still awestruck.

"Is this your party?" She asked. Her voice was airy and smooth, it sounded like music to me.

"Yeah, why? You wanna join us?" I hoped she would say yes. For some reason I felt like I wanted to get to know her better.

"Do I want t-- no I do not want to join you! I want you to turn the blasted music off, and get those damn people off my lawn!" She yelled. Well, look at that, smokin' hot girl's got an attitude. The way her forehead creased when she was angry only made her hotter. Wait, what was I thinking? I had Clarissa upstairs! Besides, NOBODY talked to Kane Wangler that way. No one.

"Hey, not my problem, you kick his ass off you're lawn. Party goes all night, WITH loud music." I said, chuckling at my buddy, Chris, throwing up in her bushes. Just then, Clarissa came up behind me. What did I tell you about her being clingy? She couldn't just wait her ass upstairs while I got the door, no, she had to come check up on me!

"Kane, baby? Come back to the party... who is this?" She asked, noticing the gorgeous girl and sizing her up. The girl was by far prettier than Clarissa, and I'm sure Clarissa realized it too, from the way she clung to my arm.

I turned to Clarissa, getting her off my arm and said, "I'll be back in a minute babe, go back to the party. And this is..." But I didn't know her name! I got caught up in her looks, and didn't even ask for her name. She must think I'm some arrogant jerk now. When I turned to ask her though, she was gone, already halfway to her house. After a moment of watching her walk, her hips swayed and she bounced it was adorable, I called after her.

"HEY! WHAT'S YOUR NAME!?" I yelled. But she didn't answer, didn't even stop. I took that as a challenge, I wanted this girl. Wanted to get to know her. Hell, I wanted her on my arm. Clarissa had gone, and I stood there staring for a minute or two in the direction she went, wishing she'd come back out. Realizing she wouldn't, I went back to my party, not really in the mood for it anymore. All I could think about for the rest of the night was seeing her again. I wouldn't stop until she was mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There it is! Chapter One! What's going to happen between Baylee and Kane? And what about Clarissa! Comment and vote, and you'll see! [: