Chapter 4

Thanks to everyone who is reading, commenting, voting, fanning, all of that! It really means a lot (: A bit of a warning to any younger readers, part of this chapter gets PG-13, so skip over it if you're not comfortable with it. You were warned!

****************************************************************

Chapter 4

Baylee's P.O.V

I chuckled to myself as I walked up the stairs as I thought about tripping Clarissa into the pool. She deserved it, coming over to my house uninvited, and throwing herself all over Kane. Wait, why do I even care what she does with Kane? You don't, I argued with myself mentally. You know you like him, said a small voice in the back of my head. I do not! Shut up, mind!

I picked out a fresh outfit, jean shorts and a black v-neck tee shirt, and headed for the shower. When I got out, I heard the floorboards creak downstairs.

"Mom? Is that you?" I called, fear creeping into my voice. My heart drummed rapidly in my chest as I waited for a response.

"Yes, sweetheart! Can you come help me with the groceries?" My mother answered, and relief washed over me. I still hadn't gotten used to being alone in this big house, and I thought she was a serial killer.

"Gimme a sec, mom!"

I quickly threw on my clothes, and loosely braided my hair letting it fall over my shoulder. Then I lightly put on black eyeliner and mascara and was good to go.

I jogged down the carpeted stairs, skipping the last two.

"Thanks, Lee. There's just a few more bags left out in the car." My mom told me.

I walked out the door to the car, and was nearly there when I heard someone crying. I looked around, but saw no one. I went back to getting the bags, but I heard it again. This time, I could tell the sound was coming from the pink Mustang convertible in Kane's driveway.

Forgetting the groceries, I ran over to the car to see what was wrong. Inside the car sat Clarissa, eyes red and puffy, crying into a tissue.

"Clarissa, what's wrong?" I asked her, truly concerned. I always went soft when people cried, 'overly sympathetic' my friends used to say.

"Nothing! Just, nothing. Leave me alone!" She hissed, and began reaching for her keys.

"Hey, I know we're not great friends, but if something's wrong, you can tell me okay?"

"It wouldn't matter how good of friends we were, if we were even friends! I can't tell you, I can't tell anyone!" Clarissa said, and backed out the drive, and raced down the street.

I choked on the dust cloud her car left on our dirt road, wondering what the hell had happened from the time she left my house, until now. It was only an hour, tops.

Clarissa didn't want my help. I'd tried to be nice and lend a hand, but she blew me off. So be it, I thought, and went back to get the groceries out of the car.

Clarissa's P.O.V

I stormed off to Kane's house, furious. That bitch totally threw me in the pool! To make matters worse, Kane was laughing at it, too! She would pay, and she'd pay big time for this.

Just as I slid open Kane's sliding door, and stepped into the cool air conditioned house, I realized I had forgotten my things over at Baylee's. I didn't even have a towel to keep warm.

No sooner had the thought been formed in my mind did I feel a towel hit my back. I turned around slowly, to see two brown eyes staring back at me, filled with anger, and hurt.