six | new species of lizard

"These things they are real and I knowHow you feelNow I must say more than everThings round here have changed"

How you feel
Now I must say more than ever
Things round here have changed"

Come on Eileen
By Dexys Midnight Runners (1982)

Tina's party is everything you would expect from a high school party. Booze, Cigarettes and loud music filled Valerie's senses as she approached the house that had teens spilling out of it and onto the lawn. Most were drunk as they danced or made out with the people beside them as Girls on Film by Duran Duran blasted out. "The party started an hour ago, how are people drunk already?" Jonathan asked as the two walked up the footsteps to the front door. Valerie laughed as she stepped into the house, Jonathan stepping in behind her. Jonathan didn't really go to parties much, this was sort of a first for him as he followed behind Valerie who looked as if she was in her element. She was the freaky girl but she still got invited to all the parties.

"You should know that the young and the reckless waste no time in getting absolutely smashed when presented with the opportunity of free booze and no parents." Valerie walked forward until she reached the bar, only to notice Jonathan had disappeared and was not behind her. She walked back towards the door only to be stopped in the hallway by an outstretched arm in front of her face. "Well, well, well. Hello again." Billy stood in front of her with his shirt hanging open, his torso drenched in cheap booze, a cigarette hanging loosely from his mouth.

"Goodbye again." Valerie groaned as he put his hand on the other side as she tried to get around. His smiled grew with amusement whereas Valerie became increasingly pissed off. She just wanted to hit this fucking creep. "Whoa, whoa. Hey, you just got here. Where are you going?" Valerie turned around away from him only for his hand to grip hers and slam her against the wall behind her. "I always get what I want." Valerie knew she wasn't in a position to mock but she couldn't help but scoff and chuckle at the macho man in front of her.

"What's so funny?" Billy's face turned malicious as she smiled at him. "Make this the only thing you know about me." Valerie put her head next to his ear and softly whispered so only he could hear her next words. "I'm no damn damsel in distress and you most certainly aren't going to get what you want." And just like that, Valerie brought her knee up into his crotch causing him to double over in pain as she raced through the front door with a smile on her face which quickly vanished as the realization that she had no way of getting home except for walking.

"Fuck it." Valerie decided to walk and stared her journey down the road leading away from Tina's house which was surrounded by woods which considering a year ago, should have freaked her out. Just as she went under a lamp post, she heard the engine of a car slowing down next to her causing her to quickly glance over, hoping to every god that it wasn't Billy. "Val?" Valerie smiled as she saw Steve look at her with wide, slightly bloodshot eyes causing her to become concerned.