seventeen | dad valerie

"On the ice blue line of insanityIs a place most never seeIt's a hard-won place of mystery"

Is a place most never see
It's a hard-won place of mystery"

Maniac
By Michael Sembello (1983)

"It should fit now." Dustin cleaned out the fridge at the Byer's house, somehow convincing Steve and Valerie to put the dead demo-dog in the fridge to keep it chilled. Valerie groaned as she lifted it with Steve, cursing herself for wearing her favorite maroon sweater. At least she can't see the blood on it. "Is this really necessary?" Steve asked, holding the bottom of the demo-dog in his arms which was covered in a baby blue blanket. "Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog." Dustin defended his reasons causing Valerie to sigh and slowly walk to the fridge.

"All right, all right, all right. But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, all right? Okay, Val. Three. Two. One" The pair hoisted the dead thing into the fridge, its head slamming up against the sides. "Christ. Dust, Help me out here." Valerie groaned trying to close the door whilst also holding the animal up. "What am I supposed to do?" The boy asked as he looked at what they were doing. "Get the door, man." Steve huffed out causing Dustin to throw up his arms before rushing towards the door.

"All right, I got the door." Dustin quickly shut it as Valerie cursed out, getting slimy goop on her sleeve. She frowned before taking it off and straightening up her white tank top. Steve took the sweater from her before throwing it in what he thought was a laundry basket. "Mike, would you just stop already?" Valerie heard Lucas say from the other room as Steve got a damp cloth, wiping the goop that he got on himself whilst also patting it off of Valerie's sweater that was in the basket next to him. "You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs." Mike fired back causing Dustin to shout with a smile on his face.

"Demo-dogs!" Valerie flicked his hat off before the three walked into the room where the boys were arguing and Max was picking up glass from the floor. Valerie sighed and helped her, making sure that the young girl didn't slice her hand on the shards. "The chief will take care of her." The kids were pissing her off and surprisingly, Max was her favorite in this whole ordeal. "Like she needs protection," Max muttered out, crouched on the ground next to Val with a dustpan in her hand.

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" Valerie stood up and tried to follow along with what Steve was saying about basketball, but she really didn't care about the rules of the game. "Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench." Mike said, his angst shining through as he argued with the oldest person in the house. "So my point is--- Right, yeah, we're on the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do." Steve stammered causing the boys to roll their eyes at him, Steve throwing a towel over his shoulder. Valerie almost laughed at the tea towel he had as he looked like a classic domestic mother.