sixteen | reunited and it feels so good

"Reached out a hand to touch your faceYou're slowly disappearing from my viewDisappearing from my view"

You're slowly disappearing from my view
Disappearing from my view"

I Ran (So Far Away)
By A Flock of Seagulls (1982)

"Eleven," Mike said before walking forward and meeting her halfway. The teenagers stood and watched the reunion, most of them knew what was happening except for Steve who looked at Valerie, confused. He had never seen this girl before but something told him that she was important by the way that everyone was looking at her with awe. He had been told about Eleven, but he never imagined her to be a goth teenage girl. "Mike." Eleven gasped, the two embracing each other with tears streaming down their faces. Eleven, with blood still streaming out of her nose, pulled away from the boy as they held their hands on each other's forearms."I never gave up on you. I called you every night for--"

"Every night for 353 days. I heard." Valerie awed at the scene causing Steve to quietly snort and throw his arm over her shoulder. She smiled at him before turning back to the kids in front of them. "Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?" Mike asked in confusion before Hopper stepped forward. "Because I wouldn't let her. The hell is this? Where you been?" Everyone's eyes widened as they watched Hopper give Eleven a one-armed hug. Valerie's jaw dropped whereas Steve, still confused, furrowed his eyebrows.

"Where have you been?" She retorted back before they split apart, Hoppers back to Mike who's eyes darted across the floor below him as thoughts raced through his mind. "You've been hiding her. You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike shoved Hopper causing the chief to grab his shirt and stop him from punching him in the back. "Hey! Let's talk. Alone." As Hopper and Mike walked out of the room, Valerie's eyes were back on Eleven who walked around and said hello to everyone that she'd left behind a year ago. Valerie smiled to herself. It was almost as if nothing had changed. As Eleven made her way to Steve and Valerie, Valerie was quick to open her arms and embrace the girl.

"I am loving this look you have," Valerie whispered to her causing the two to chuckle. The memories of Valerie and the boys with Eleven flooded back causing her to smile as she held the girl tighter. Valerie was one of the first people that took care of her in Mike's basement, sneaking her food that wasn't just eggos. "I'm glad you're back." They pulled away before El pointed over Valerie's shoulder. Valerie spun and saw Steve awkwardly standing behind her, giving the girls a short wave in response to their stares. "That's Steve. Nancy's boyfriend." El nodded before walking off towards Joyce leaving Valerie sighing. Steve pulled on Valerie's arm directing her to the side where they wouldn't be standing near anyone.

"Valerie, Nancy and I broke up." Valerie's heart swelled with the news that the boy she had a teensy tiny crush on was single, but she remained calm and collected. "Steve, I'm so sorry." Valerie put her hand on his arm as a comforting gesture which caused him to sigh out before looking out the broken window. "Don't be. She doesn't love me, she likes Jonathan and yes, I did love her, but--." Steve sat down on the couch with his head in his hands causing Valerie to shrink down next to him and put her hand on his back, rubbing small circles