Chapter Five

You guessed it! IT IS TEN YEARS LATER!!! :D She is now fifteen! :)

{Chapter Five}

TEN YEARS LATER...

   "Let's move it! Go! Go! Go!"

   "Oh my gosh!"

   "No complaining! Ten more laps!"

   The entire team groaned and complained, but picked up their pace. I was panting, my chest hurting a bit, and my legs ached. Why did I decide to do track again? Oh yeah, because of Jess. Ugh, how I hate that child now.

   The coach blew his whistle and yelled at some poor victim. It was a scrawny, brown-haired boy who wasn't running fast enough. Coach McGrath's face was red and blotchy, twisted into an unattractive frown. Sweat beaded at the top of his forehead, and he wasn't even running! Imagine what I must look like. It's eighty-something degrees out!

   "I hate you, Jess!" I screamed as I caught up with her. She was jogging, looking refreshed, and a grin plastered onto her face. She doesn't seem a bit tired.

   "I know," she laughed. My best friend has been doing track for five years, since middle school. So obviously, she's had a lot more practice and is used to this- this torture. Her blond hair was tied up, like my light brown hair was, and her green eyes shone excitedly. She definitely loved running. It wasn't my thing. I'm more into non-athletic activities... like drawing. I love to draw, and I must say, I'm quite good at it.

   "Come on, you're falling behind!" Jess called, her perfectly shaped legs speeding up. I groaned and went after her, trying to keep the same pace as her. I was doomed to fail.

   "Thank you, Captain Obvious," I muttered under my breath.

   Tweet!

   "You there! In the orange shirt! What's your name?" Coach yelled, looking directly at me. I looked down and noticed that my shirt was a bright orange color. Wincing slightly, I stated my name loudly. People shot me glances of sympathy, which didn't make me feel any better.

   "Too slow! Five extra laps!" he barked, then turned around and stalked up. My face fell, and despair washed over me. No, I can't do this! I heard laughter behind me, so I turned around to see who dare laughed, but I saw no one. Hm, I must've imagined it or something.

   "Water break!" the coach called. We all jogged over to the tent that was set up next to the track and grabbed our own water bottles. I chugged mine, grateful for the cool liquid the slid down my throat, soothing the dryness. I licked my chapped lips and sat down on the bench, breathing like my life depended on it.

   Jess, on the other hand, sat down, looking quite comfortable, not panting at all. She took a drink of her water.

   "So, how do you like track so far?" she asked. I glared, not responding. How dare she ask that question! She laughed at my misery.

   "Shut the hell up," I snapped, taking another sip of my water.

   "Language!" she scolded, then stood up, "Ready for Round Two?" she asked enthusiastically.

   "Kill me now."

   "Oh, come on, it wasn't that bad," Jess said, walking with a straight back. I, on the other hand, was slumped over and dragging my feet against the pavement. My feet were so sore, and I was drenched in sweat. I needed a shower, badly.