Chapter Ten

{Chapter Ten}

   "Lily? Who are you talking to?" Mom opened the door. I froze, eyes wide in shock. She always seems to walk in when Alec comes.

   "Uh..." was all I could get out. I turned to where Alec was sitting. He was gone.

   "No one... I was just... practicing my presentation. For science," I lied.

   Mom nodded, "Okay, well, just keep it down."

   I smiled, "Sure thing!"

   With that, she closed the door. Alec appeared right were he was originally, looking impressed.

   "You're quite the liar," he commented. I sighed.

   "I don't like lying, but imagine what would happen if I said, 'oh yeah, I was talking to this ghost who just so happened to be my imaginary friend when I was five years old'. I'm sure that would make perfect sense to her," I replied. Alec laughed.

   "Yeah, I'm sure that would go real well with her," he said.

   "So... you and Whitney?" I tried to keep the bitterness out of my voice. For some reason, it irked me that he knew Whitney, pretty little Whitney. Then again, if your old friend was dating a bitch, you'd probably be annoyed as well. To my surprise, he look disgusted.

   "No, we met when I was waiting at the park for you. She has this crazy fantasy that we're together or something," he shook his head sadly. I snorted. Typical Whitney.

   I didn't bother to hide my yawn. Alec smiled.

   "Am I that boring?"

   I blushed, "No! It's just really late, and it's been a long day, and- oh, sorry I rant when I'm nervous."

   Alec laughed, "Why are you nervous?"

   I shrugged, "I- I don't know."

   Alec frowned, "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable around me."

   "It's not that- I guess I'm just tired," I said, my eyes drooping. Alec look skeptical, but didn't reply.

   "Will I see you again?" I asked.

   "Most likely," he answered. I grinned.

   "That's nice."

   "Alright, well, good night," he responded, and vanished. I smiled and muttered a 'good night', not knowing if he heard me or not.

   Then my eyes closed, and I drifted into a deep sleep.

   [A/N: Switching to third person POV...]

   Alec stayed invisible for a few more moments, watching Lily's chest rise and fall as she slept. He had missed her so much. So, so much.

   "Alec," the familiar voice spoke. Alec turned and saw the black-cloaked figure.

   "Yes sir," Alec answered.

   "You can't continue being like this. The time is coming, and you're going to have to make choices. Important choices that can decide the fate of-"

   "I know," Alec cut him off, "I know. It's just so... hard. I don't know what to think anymore."

   The man sighed, "There's not much time left. Think long and hard on what you are to do. But hurry. The clock is ticking, and he won't wait forever."