Chapter 5

A/N: Hi guys, I'd love to know what you think about Cassie (whether it be her relationships with the other characters, or about her past), or what you think about the story in general, so feel free to review :)

This was absurd. She was being foolish. She should turn around and go back to Peter, he need never know how her confidence in him had wavered. Although these tempting thoughts bounced back and forth in her head, her strides did not waver. Her footsteps remained strong as she travelled through the jungle, their steady rhythm squashing the soft earth. Doubt and guilt filled her; her heart was squeezing uncomfortably in her chest. Her current action acted against every fibre of her being and a small voice in her mind screamed for her to see sense.

Cassandra did not want to believe Henry, that his- their- family was on the right side. The concept that the boy she loved had been manipulating her the entire time, interfering with her life since her birth, was not one she was fond of. Still, she marched on, trying to ease the worries gnawing at her with feeble claims. She trusted Peter. She knew he hadn't lied to her about the twisted nature of her mother. Peter wouldn't do that. Peter wouldn't hurt her.

All she was doing was confirming what she knew to be true. If her mother couldn't provide her with evidence that went against what Cassandra had been led to believe, she would stop doubting the boy who had never done her any wrong. She would go back to trusting him wholeheartedly. Despite this, Cassandra couldn't quite shake the feeling that what she was going to find wouldn't be pleasant.

Her eyes caught sight of footprints littering the soil. They were close. She softened the plunder of her feet and stealthily snuck between the towering trees as she followed the trail. Muffled voices could be heard nearby and Cassandra moved silently towards the noise.

"Neverland's a dangerous place and... you know you- you just never know what's gonna happen. So-" Cassandra groaned internally as the familiar voice stumbled over its words.

"David." A soft voice cut him off. "You're gonna be fine."

The rest of the exchange was too quiet for Cassandra to hear but she presumed it was a set of soppy goodbyes. Why the need for such dramatics, Charming was probably just going for a leak and would be back within five minutes. The rustle of branches sounded and Charming and Hook emerged from the shrubbery. They strode past her hidden form without a second glance and delved further into the jungle.

Once their footsteps had died down, the blonde snuck through the bushes to Henry's rescue team. She hovered on the outskirts of the clearing as she studied the three women. They appeared calmer than the last time she had seen them but she could see the worried crease of their foreheads. Emma's posture was tense as she took a deep breath and looked up to the sky.

"Let's get on with it, shall we?" Regina was blunt, not wanting to waste time.

"How exactly are we going to catch a Lost Boy?" Snow White asked perplexed. Cassandra's brows furrowed. What exactly did the trio have in mind?

"Well they must be running about somewhere. We just hide and wait for them to come along." Emma said plainly.

"Really? That's your plan? Just wait like sitting ducks!" Regina snapped.

"What would you suggest? We go and search because forgive me Regina but we don't seem to be that great at searching." She then pointed at the ground to a path beaten by footsteps. "There's a heck of a lot of footsteps 'round here, which means that Lost Boys must pass through here most of the time."

Cassandra scoffed, this was ridiculous.

"And what will you do once you've actually caught a Lost Boy?" Cassandra huffed as she announced her presence. She smirked at the way the women jolted with surprise.