Prologue

"Hades needs friends! People to hang out with, to play soccer with! Gaming is not a career, David!" Mom screeched as I heard a thunderous crash. She always hated the idea of me following my dreams of being a gamer. My mother, Maria, always wanted me to be a famous celebrity lawyer.

My name is Hades Jones, I'm ten years old and I live with my parents. I do have an older sister, however, she moved state to go to university. For a ten year old, I'm quite tall with a somewhat good build. Normally, I'm happy with my life but since my sister left, it's been quiet and mom's been bickering about what my plans are in the future.

Every night, I listen to my parents tear out each other's throats about everything and anything. My mom always starts it though. Gaming got me through the darkest days of my life when my sister was busy with course work.

"Maria, Hades has a choice for his future. His future is only his, not ours. I'm proud of my son for finding his hobby interesting and wanting to pursue it as a career." Dad calmly spoke to mom as another crash echoed through the house. A tear slipped down my face as I peered through the keyhole in my door. Mom trudged up the stairs, dad trailed behind her like a lost puppy. Low grunts emitted from her throat. Silently, I observed mom scream at dad with aggression lacing her tone. Waterfalls fell from my eyes as I rested my back against the wooden door. A few moment later, bang! The front door slammed shut.

Footsteps came closer to my door, causing me to shuffle away from it. A faint knock on the door floated around the room. Looking up, I noticed the door opening and a broken dad there. Opening his arms, I ran into them and gripping him tight. Loud echoes of cries ran throughout the house as we cried. Dad collapsed onto his knees as he buried his face into my shoulder.

"It's going to be alright." Dad ensured me as he pulled away. I rushed into my warm bed, wrapping myself in the thick duvet. He strolled over to me, leaving a kiss on my forehead before walking out. My mind focused on the sad smile which replaced his genuine one. Unfortunately, my ears locked on to dad on the phone to someone. In silence, I listened carefully, but I couldn't tell who it was.

As the night covered the sky, my eyes became heavy. The night felt like eternity. Eventually, the darkness consumed my body as I drifted off into a deep slumber of the night. My mind still concentrated on mom.