CHAPTER ONE: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋𝐒

"Now, Mister Clarke is one of the nicest teachers I've ever known. I'm sure he'll make you feel right at home here," The principal of Hawkins Middle School lead the two new reserved girls to their first class of the day: Science.

Side by side, the pair followed the tall suited man up the quiet hallway. The freckled red-head was clearly ticked-off just by being be there, and the brunette had no idea what she was doing but she was where she wanted to be. She anxiously watched the principal as he spun round and asked, "Ready?" before opening the door. The brunette's eyes shifted to the right, curious of the unbothered girl's reaction, which was exactly that: unbothered.

He opened the door regardless, revealing a class of twenty students (more or less) with their eyes stuck the newbies.
The anxious girl clutched onto the straps of her backpack as she scanned the decorated classroom of unfamiliar faces that beamed up at her.

"Ah, these must be our new students!" Mister Clarke said in an energised tone. The brunette took note of how exited this teacher was to introduce her to the class. She thought his predominant moustache made him look funny. He was excited to teach and she was excited to learn.

"Indeed they are," The principal smiled, tapping the girl's heads before leaving setting off.

The red-headed girl looked out to the class to locate a seat as far away from the front as possible. Two steps into her journey to the back, Mister Clarke caught her with his words, "Hold up. You don't get away that easy." You could practically hear her eyes roll back, "Don't be shy." Mr Clarke waited for the sighing girl to return back to her spot next to the brunette. "Dustin, drum roll." He pointed to a curly headed boy wearing a cap on the first row. He began tapping his book repeatedly like a drum. It put the smallest smile on the brunette's face. "Class," He kept pausing for dramatic effect. "Please welcome, all they way from sunny California and the big apple, the latest passengers to join us on our curiosity voyage...Maxine and Melanie." No one in the class seemed to be interested, except the two boys on the first row. Drummer boy and...the other one.

"It's Max." The red-head replied.

"Sorry?"

"Nobody calls me Maxine. It's Max." She let out one more sigh before speed walking to the back of the class to an empty seat. "Well, all aboard, Max."  Melanie's only option was a seat at the front. Next to drummer boy. "...and you too, Melanie." He said as she walked by, feeling a bit more relaxed now that most eyes seemed to be on Max after her dramatic flaunt to the back of the classroom.

Melanie made sure to sit in her seat with a good posture after taking out an old notepad and a pencil.

As Mister Clarke prepared himself to start the class, drummer boy whispered, "Hey. I'm Dustin," adding a smile that brightened her day.

"I'm Melanie."