CHAPTER TWO: FAMILIAR

familiar; seen it before

Melanie was greeted by a familiar face after her first day of school. She didn't know his name but she knew who he was. She got into his red car are drove home. The man walked with her on the way to her room. The two of them passed a family of three at the front doors. The only child kept staring at Melanie when they passed each other. He did look familiar to her. Before leaving her, the man told her, "He'll be with you soon." Then closed and locked the door behind him. She let out a sigh before lying flat on her back on her little single bed, staring at the ceiling. Her room wasn't very big. Just big enough for a bed, a desk, a chair and her own bathroom (in a connecting room). No windows, just white walls.

Her door was unlocked from the outside and a man in a white lab coat strolled in, pulled up Melanie's chair, sat on  it, clasping his hands. "So...Melanie. How was it? Was it as fun as you thought it'd be?" Melanie kept her emotionless stare to the ceiling. "Hm?" The chair creaked as he leaned forward, trying to get her attention. "We had a deal, remember? We shook hands like grown ups. You-" He rambled on before her soft, quiet voice cut him off.

"Promised." She mumbled, keeping her gaze on the ceiling.

"Yes." He paused waiting for an answer. "Anytime today, Sixteen." His tone switched to a slightly angrier one. "Tell me what you saw."

"Let me have friends." She quietly demanded. She had none. She lived in a laboratory where no kids her age lived. Just men and women she didn't know.

"Sixteen, I swear..." He rubbed his face, calming himself down."We talked about this. People can't know who you are."

"I don't tell them."

"No." Her eyes turned to him, frowning a bit. "You tell me what you saw right now!" He shouted at her. He then stood up, putting the chair back in its place. "Or no more school." He threatened which made her clinch her fists.

"The man in the yellow outfit turning the power back on." She finally answered him, gritting her teeth. "That's what I saw." She told the truth.

"Was he harmed?" He asked, understanding what she was talking about.

She replied, "No." Her gazed turned back to the ceiling.

"See. Was that so hard? Honestly." Dr Owens spoke to himself on his way out leaving her alone again.
This has been her life for the past ten years. Telling these people what she seen in her premonitions and visions. One day, she refused to talk until she was promised a normal childhood. Instead she just got school. No friends, no truth. She took that deal anyway because she would do anything to get away from these bad men that kept hurting her and drugging her. Enough was enough.

Later that night, she woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. While walking back into her room, she froze and her eyes were locked straight ahead. Her eyes were like a projector screen on her plain wall. She could see some boys from her science class talking in a small room she remembered from the tour the principal gave her before class. There was a clock on the wall in the background that read eight fifteen. After her vision she saw, she wiped the blood from her nose. She heard the boys' conversation and knew exactly what they were talking about.