CHAPTER TEN: THE SEER

seer; someone with supernatural insight who sees visions of the future

"You should go home!" Mike told Max off in the gym hall making it pretty clear that he didn't want her there. She followed him when he ran off.

"Why do you hate me so much?" She glared at him but looking for an honest answer.

"I don't hate you." He told her. "How can I hate you? I don't even know you." He tried stomping away.

"Yeah, but you don't want me in your party!" She angrily continued to follow him.

"Correct." He said sarcastically with a smile. "You know why?" He turned to face her. "Because you're annoying!" His voice echoed the empty hall. "Also, we don't need another party member." She continued to frown at him. "I'm our paladin, Will's our cleric, Dustin is our bard, Lucas is our ranger, El's our mage and Mel's our seer." He listed everyone in the party. Even Mel had a place in it.

"What?" She asked in disbelief. "Melanie?" She raised her voice. "The other new girl that never speaks. She's allowed in and I'm not?"

"Yes!" He shouted back.

She took a breath and lowered her tone. "Because that's fair, right?" He didn't answer. She couldn't know why Mel was in and she wasn't. Her hatred began growing for Mel. What did she have that Max didn't? "Who's El? You said El."

Mike's face went blank. "Someone." He panicked. "No one." He hated himself for saying something that he shouldn't have said in the heat of the moment. "She was in our party a long time ago. She moved away, okay?"

"Well I could be your zoomer." She suggested to him.

"That's not even a real thing." He sighed. He just wanted to get away from her.

"It could be." She skated round him on her skateboard making him dizzy. "See?" He rolled his eyes and left.  There were bigger problems than a zoomer trying to join the party.

Mel found Will on the field exactly where she saw him in her vision. He was in some sort of trance. She didn't know what to do when she approached him. She didn't have a walkie and neither did he for that matter. "Will?" She tapped his shoulder repeatedly. "Will!" She called but no answer. She was scared. She knew something bad was happening to him. Then just in time, Mike ran out the building.

"Mel! Will!" He called out until he approached them. "What's happening to him?" Mike worried for his friend.

"I don't know."

"I think he's having another one of his episodes." He hoped but what if they weren't really flashbacks like they thought? True Sight. What could he see right now? Mike turned to Mel. "Mel." She looked at him with her sad eyes. "Do you think you could see what he's seeing?" She nodded (forgetting she could do this). Mike told everyone on the walkie-talkies that they had found Will. Mel took a breath before holding Will's hand, closing her eyes and falling into his mind.

Lucas, Dustin, Max and even Joyce Byers ran out of the school onto the field after hearing Mike's message. "What's going on?" Dustin asked after seeing Mel and Will with their eyes closed.

Mike continued to shake Will's shoulder. "I think he's having another episode." Mike told Will's worried mother.

"What's happening?" Joyce asked looking at a girl she had never seen before holding Will's hand. "What-what's she doing?" She stuttered.

"Helping." Mike gave her a look he hoped she'd understand. She didn't ask anymore questions. "I'll explain later."

"Will! Will! Will!" She called for him. "Sweetie, it's mom. Wake up." She told him. Joyce noticed the blood dripping from the girl's nose and got a good idea of who she was or what she was.

Melanie could see and almost feel everything that Will could. He was in the same world but only darker. This black dust was tightening round Will's body causing him to feel suffocated.

"Will. Please wake up." His mother continued.

Dustin's eyes were on Mel. She had been in Will's mind for too long. "Why isn't Mel waking up?" He asked himself out loud. Max just stood there with a blank expression on her face, not knowing what to think or say or do. Everyone else stood round, waiting for one of them to wake up. "Mel?" Dustin said, awkwardly tapping her arm.

It was hard to hear but Mel could hear Dustin's voice calling on her. His voice was so quiet compared to Will's heavy breathing. The black dust was going into his eyes, ears, nose and mouth causing him to choke. Mel felt like she couldn't even talk. Panicking, she tried to get out of Will's head but she couldn't.

"Wake up. It's me!" Joyce shook her sons shoulder. Suddenly, Will and Mel's eyes shot open and gasped in sync.