c h a p t e r f i v e

"dee? are you awake honey?" delilah heard her mother's voice through her bedroom door

"dee? are you awake honey?" delilah heard her mother's voice through her bedroom door. delilah had been up a short while now as she assumed she would be doing something with beverly and the losers club today, which was confirmed when she got a phone call from a distressed beverly.

cassandra's question was answered when her daughter opened her bedroom door, smiling.

"i've got something to tell you." cassandra said to her daughter, trying not to let on the sadness in her voice.

"what is it?" delilah asked.

"your letter came, from the competition. i'm sorry honey, you didn't get it." cassandra told her daughter whilst handing her the letter that came in the mail this morning.

it took delilah a few minutes to process what her mom had just said to her. "oh." delilah opened the letter wanting to confirm what she had just been told. "well, that's just another thing i'll bury in my dungeon of sadness next to my daddy issues and ballerina dreams". delilah threw the letter onto her bed.

"don't be like that, dee." cassandra pleaded.

"i'm fine mom. i'm going to bev's." delilah said closing the door.

failure was another one of delilah's fears and she'd just experienced it first hand. she didn't know what to do. all delilah did was let a few tears roll from her eyes and then compose herself quickly. delilah only cried rarely she cried in a single situation, if one of her friends or family members got hurt. she had no memory of ever crying at anything else. she climbed out of her window, not wanting to face her mother trying to console her, and went to beverly's.

after her experience the previous day, delilah made her way to beverly's very quickly and when she got there she saw richie standing outside beverly's apartment on his own.

"hi, lilah." richie called to her when he saw her.

"hi, rich. where is everyone? bev said it was an emergency." delilah asked, confused.

"they're inside. i don't know why. i'm a look out incase beverly's dad comes back." richie explained.

"well, i'll just stay out here with you then. keep you company." delilah gave richie a slight wink, making richie blush slightly for the first time in his life.

delilah sat on the metal stairs that led up to beverly's apartment and pulled a cigarette packet and a lighter from her pocket. she lit the cigarette and took an intake of it before offering richie one. delilah had never seen richie smoke but she'd never spoken to the boy properly until a few days ago, so she offered anyway. richie took one and delilah lit it for him. as richie breathed in the smoke he tried so hard not to cough and embarrass himself in front of delilah, not that she would've cared anyway.