two!

She pulled away from his lips. The summer sweat laid on her forehead and pink swelled on her mouth. His eyes searched through hers for confirmation to continue. Feverishly, he latched his lips to the latina's own.

"We need to stop doing this," she whispered between kisses.

"Maybe later," he countered before cupping her face once more.

Nina knew this wasn't good somewhere far in her mind but that wasn't now. "Now" was Steve and the way his lips made her hands shake into his hair. She craved more every time they disconnected, as if he were her life line.

"I have to go, Steve," she halfheartedly protested. Honestly, she'd much rather stay with him behind Hawkins' only pool shack hidden from prying eyes. Sandy was picking her up and taking her back to school shopping-the true sign summer was ending.

He connected them by the lips one last time before walking away. Steve smiled to himself quite happy with how he had spent the last month of summer break.

Rosalina was a rare occurrence in the town. She blew through in a whirlwind of hidden makeouts with boys who didn't deserve it and grades teachers boasted about for years. Rumors about her spread like wildfire, even mothers like his own liked to gossip about the brown skinned girl. Although, she was pretty oblivious to everything due to her cares residing in the hands of three people: her father, sister, and Sandy Gil.

Perhaps it was foolish of Steve to hope he'd make it to the list, he didn't like her that much and she was never attached to a boy long enough. He simply considered it an honor and privilege to say "Rosalina Juarez cares about me." It wouldn't happen the summer would end so would their isolated sessions.

Nina sent him a secret smile when she entered the red station wagon. The summer would end but the memory of him would never fade. She'd keep it to herself- above all other boys.

And when there's a note in her locker with the words "Summer was fun" scribbled them on it she sighs sadly.

***