six!

"WENDY LET ME IN I WANNA BE YOUR FRIEND!" they yelled at the top of their lungs. He guessed that's why no one opened door the first time he knocked. Or the second and third. The fourth time the small locks inside the old cherry red chipped house turned.

"Bruce Springsteen, nice," Steve laughed grabbing the kids' attention.

Nina's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "How do you know where I live? And why are you here?"

"In sixth grade you invited me over for a glass of water and Maven Gil told Max you were making food because he has a crush on her and now all of us are here."

She craned her neck to look over into the yard seeing the party play with her dogs.

"Beto! Coca! Come!" she called alarming the kids. "You too kids!"

Sandy stood inside the kitchen mixing the salad bowl. "Aleksander Gil the sous chef. Sandy Gil the sous chef. Me, the sous chef," he spoke to himself.

"Aleks! Hello, tell your brother I don't like him," Max said before anyone else could speak.

"Uhm- alright?"

"Thanks. How can we help?"

"Food's done if that's what you mean but you can sit down at the table. Where's Nina?"

"Arguing with Steve."

***

Two dogs ran around their legs barking at each other. He was unknowingly admiring the flare in her eyes. She was collecting the thoughts running through her subconscious.

"You can't just come into my house with six kids," she let out.

"I thought we were friends so it was okay," he replied picking at a loose string on his coat.

"Sandy- is my friend. You are a classmate."

"Ouch. Well, can we try to be friends?"

"I-I mean sure," she threw her hands up in exasperation. "We can try to be friends. We can be friends."

"Now that I feel like a third grader, can we go eat?"

Nina laughed, "Yes, let's go."

***