seven!

They say no one can hear your screams from space. She pondered over this while staring, begrudgingly at her bedroom ceiling. No one could hear your screams but why would you scream? You'd be far from earth and all it's tragedies.

Tragedies, like Nina's life. Although she tried to pretend she wasn't aware of her reputation, she was. It's terribly difficult not to when mothers tell their sons to stay away from her. Girls envy her but trade wildly false rumors about her. Teachers praise her brain but scold her social life. She hated it all.

"Mami, take me with you," she whispered into nothing holding back tears. Immediately, she felt guilty for having such a thought. It would ruin her family. That's when the tears began to flow. She shook as the sadness and anger moved through her.

***

"You look like hell," the oldest Juarez commented.

"Stayed up late doing homework," Nina painfully lied.

"All to be number one," she laughed placing toast on the table. "Papi, will be home by four so be here for dinner."

"Okay. Sandy's giving me a ride so don't worry," the youngest sister replied stuffing her face with bread.

"That kid's your personal driver," Maria laughed spreading butter on her own toast.

"He's my best friend, his car is a plus." A honk could be heard from outside. "Also, he's early. Bye! Love you"

"Love you too! Tell Sandy I said hi!"

Her feet stomped down the steps before she ran towards the red car. "LOU!" she yelled in pure joy. "I missed you so much."

"Get in before I drive her away," Sandy joked from inside the vehicle.

"Don't you dare, Gil. You came early."

"Max told my brother to tell me to tell you that Steve told her if we could be there early."

"Too early for a sentence like that. Simple terms please."

"Steve wants us- or I mean you, to be there early."

"We've been friends for all of three days."

"He hangs out with middle schoolers it's probably best to broaden his horizons."

"He's one of the most popular kids in school."

"He wants more friends."

"Fine. Whatever. Can we get bagels?"

"Do you have money?"

"I heard school breakfast is good."

"That's what I thought." Next to him, Nina groaned.

***

He continued to check his watch, his head shaking every time. "Where are they?"

"Who knows? You won't tell us who "they" are?" Dustin argued behind him.

"Take a guess." Steve carelessly replied checking his watch again.

"Nina and Sandy?" Max asked turning to see Lucas nod. "Why are we waiting for them?"

"Because we're friends," Steve answered.

Before anyone else could answer, a car door opened next to Steve's car. A pair of work boots and dirty white converses hit the dirt in sync.

"My kids!" Nina yelled before embracing the middle schoolers. "I'm so sorry this sorry boy dragged you out of bed early."

"He got us McDonald's breakfast," Will smiled.

She smiled kindly back at him before whipping around to glare at the Harrington boy. "Where's my breakfast?"

"In your stomach, I guess," he shrugged.

"Ass."

"Thanks. Now, let's go."

***