eight!

"What are we doing here?" Nina asked. Steve maneuvered her past the crowd of high school students to the back of the library.

"Having a conversation," he replied.

"We could do this in the parking lot or anywhere else."

"It's better here." She looked around the wooden bookshelves and held her breath. They stood in a very familiar place. A place where she was often caught locking lips with different boys.

"What do you want to talk about?" the words came out but her eyes seemed distracted.

"I know the way we left off being friends last time was weird so can we just- forget about it."

"Steve, I thought we already moved on."

"You acted weird last time-"

"Things change even if it's in a matter of days."

"You sure?"

"Definitely. Of course." He cheekily smiled at her before leading them out of the corner.

***

"You can sit here," Steve said pointing to the desk she usually sat at.

"I would've sat there anyways," Nina added.

"I'm being polite."

"Well then, thanks."

"No biggie."

"Shut up," she laughed trying to hide her smile. There was something about Steve that always made her smile. He was good company.

"Talk to you after class, Rosie," he said before sitting near the back. She didn't even bother correcting him about her name.

***

"Some junior's throwing a party this weekend, we should go," Sandy said to her before getting in the car.

"It's Bart Matthews, you idiot, and I'll think about it. My dad is coming home for dinner so speed it up," she answered.

"Can I stay then?"

"Ask my sister."

"Alright so yes."

"You can't assume she'll say yes."

"But she will because she adores me."

"You're the worst."

"You can walk the rest of the way." At this she feigned shock and playfully hit her best friend. "Watch it! I'm driving."

"There's no one else on the street," Nina said checking the road ahead of them.

"No, but there's people behind us," he retorted checking the rear view mirror and seeing four or so cars. Nina sighed before slumping into the grey seat.

When the duo arrived to the spruce fragranced home, a silver two seater sat in the driveway. Julio Juarez was home early.

***