nine!

"Fuck!" Nina let out pulling lightly at her hair. "My dad's home early. Oh man, Lulu is gonna kill me."

"It's not like we knew he was coming home early," Sandy said.

"Yeah but shit!"

"Your dad will be fine with it."

"What about my sister?" Nina asked throwing her hands up in despair. When Sandy didn't reply she knew both were aware of the grave situation.

María Luz was the hot-tempered, driving, maternal figure in Nina's life. Their father worked multiple jobs and was hardly seen at home unless he was asleep. María Luz was a college student who actively chased after her sister since Nina could walk.

Carefully, the younger Juarez sister opened the front door giving a sigh of relief seeing no one in the front room of the house. She signaled to Sandy to follow her in when she heard her father laugh.

"Mija, bring Sandy in. Your sister isn't home yet," Julio Juarez laughed. Although he spoke in a rather thick accent, both teenagers understood him perfectly.

Her father stood against the wall separating the front room from the kitchen smiling brightly despite his eyes being weary. Nina made her way over to him before embracing her dad.

"It's weird she's not home," Nina frowned looking to Sandy for confirmation that it was in fact weird.

It wasn't just weird, it was outright wrong. María Luz was never late. Not to school. Not to work. Not for her period. Not for a date. Never.

"Where is she?" Sandy asked.

"Who knows. There's probably just a small issue at work." Julio rationalized with himself. With those words the front door could be heard opening and all three turned to face the entranceway.

"What are you doing?" Nina asked her sister.

"Where were you?" Sandy asked.

"What's for dinner?" Julio asked.

María Luz looked taken aback by the sudden questions thrown her way. She was also shocked to find her family already home. Even with the minor delay at the office, she was sure she would make home before her sister and father.

"Getting home. Work. Chiles rellenos," María Luz answered quickly all three of their questions.

"Okay, another question- can I stay for dinner?" Sandy asked carefully.

"Of course."

***

Steve didn't know what had gotten into him. He was supposed to be driving home so he could be with his family before leaving for another date. Now, he was seated in his car staring at the Juarez's front porch.

The party of middle schoolers would laugh at the sight of him. He should have been preparing for the date. Another date that would end with Steve missing the girl who shattered his heart. Another date would end with him slowly wishing it was Nina as his company.

The front door opened slightly, a boyish laugh could be picked up from his distance. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" Steve muttered to himself quickly putting the vehicle in reverse. He sped away from the girl's house.

***

i never write notes for this but i'm really sorry for the lack of updates i was swamped with finals and then family. I go back to school monday so i really wasted break writing wise. anyways i hope you all have a fantastic 2018 and thank you so much for 13k reads hold shit.